Tent Camping at Thompson Temple's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxTechBowhunter View Post
    I think I was on that same trip. Haven’t been back down there since 07.

The A Frame was rough back then and I am certain it has not improved. If I was to go back I would just stay at a hotel in town.
    Where are you at these days? It's Chad right?

Comment

Is it still called Rocky Top Ranch? I went with ten buddies over 20 years ago. Friend and I went a day early to get things lined out and I drove my short wheel base Ram 4X4 up that hill. On the way down I told my buddy to get out of the truck because we both don’t need to die!!!
      We stayed in a big house / lodge about half way up the hill. Is that not there any longer??
      We had a ball and I had to buy a freezer when I got home for the 16 heads I mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
        Is it still called Rocky Top Ranch? I went with ten buddies over 20 years ago. Friend and I went a day early to get things lined out and I drove my short wheel base Ram 4X4 up that hill. On the way down I told my buddy to get out of the truck because we both don’t need to die!!!
        We stayed in a big house / lodge about half way up the hill. Is that not there any longer??
        We had a ball and I had to buy a freezer when I got home for the 16 heads I mounted.
        Thompson lives in that house on the weekends.

Comment

I still have a picture somewhere of these rednecks who got drunk and took their wife's new Jeep Cherokee up there after dark and shot a Rambouillet with a 9mm and threw it in through the sun roof and soaked the whole interior in blood. The next morning they were grabbing their *** because he knew his wife was going to kill him dead.

Comment

Man, y'all are making me want to take a trip now! Anywhere for hammocks? Or is a tent/air mattress the ticket.

What's the reason for needing to traverse this road? Is it nicer to stay at the top up there? Better hunting options?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
              Man, y'all are making me want to take a trip now! Anywhere for hammocks? Or is a tent/air mattress the ticket.

What's the reason for needing to traverse this road? Is it nicer to stay at the top up there? Better hunting options?

It used to be where you could hike all this rough country with horrible hills and valleys and you'd be sore as hell after a weekend. There used to be Rams everywhere. Of course there would be rams down in the valley where the camps were. You could literally make the hunt as easy or hard as you wanted. We used to hike the back country, make a camp for lunch, build a small fire for lunch and then move on. It was great. Apparently there aren't many rams out there any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                It used to be where you could hike all this rough country with horrible hills and valleys and you'd be sore as hell after a weekend. There used to be Rams everywhere. Of course there would be rams down in the valley where the camps were. You could literally make the hunt as easy or hard as you wanted. We used to hike the back country, make a camp for lunch, build a small fire for lunch and then move on. It was great. Apparently there aren't many rams out there any more.
                Dang. ^^ That sounds like a blast. I was kind of kicking around the idea before Corona mess happened.

Maybe this winter. Doesn't seem like anywhere else is like this place.

Would like to take the 4runner on an adventure hunt but I'm never going to get drawn, and don't have time for out of state or the $ for in state!

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                  Dang. ^^ That sounds like a blast. I was kind of kicking around the idea before Corona mess happened.

Maybe this winter. Doesn't seem like anywhere else is like this place.

Would like to take the 4runner on an adventure hunt but I'm never going to get drawn, and don't have time for out of state or the $ for in state!

Not a whole lot of driving to do there except for the one passage up the hill. The success of the place was the VOLUME of rams he put on the property and how low his price structure was. You could spot and stalk all day and if you got busted, you just kept hunting until you found another group of rams.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                    Not a whole lot of driving to do there except for the one passage up the hill. The success of the place was the VOLUME of rams he put on the property and how low his price structure was. You could spot and stalk all day and if you got busted, you just kept hunting until you found another group of rams.
                    I'm not looking to do much offroading, just go somewhere camp, and shoot something, think it's been 3-4 years since I've taken a shot at an animal with my bow.

Comment

Working...
                    X