No announcement yet.

Teaching kids to shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just taught then to throw lead, eventually they started hitting what they were aiming at. Then I started correcting form.

Comment

I started mine on a bb gun, then scoped pellet rife, red dot on youth 22, to a 4x scoped 223. It worked perfect and now at 14 he shoots a scoped rifle as well as anyone I know. For shotgun I skipped the 410 and went straight to a 20 Guage with trainer loads.

Comment

Or draw her a picture of what the iron sights should look like when lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          It may not be right, but I taught mine and all the kids at our lease with a scope. It seemed like the best way to keep them interested, and engaged. They're learning iron sights with pistols now.
          This. My kids only shoot .22s with scopes. I also have em wear double hearing protection so the noise is minimal to go along with the minimal recoil of a .22.

I put the targets close, too, never further than 20yds. Shooting at targets is intended to build confidence and good habits. With no recoil they aren’t scared of the kick, with hardly any sound they aren’t scared of the percussion, then with them hitting the bulls eye every time their confidence sky rockets.

I’ve taught both my girls this way and (knock on wood) they’ve never missed.
          Attached Files

Comment

This may sound strange, but my kids really zeroed in once I found a target they really wanted to hit. We had them shooting at water bottles and balloons and they were kinda all over the place with iron sites. Then I put some left over eggs up there and it was like they became laser focused. I guess it was because they wanted to see the eggs explode.

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
              This may sound strange, but my kids really zeroed in once I found a target they really wanted to hit. We had them shooting at water bottles and balloons and they were kinda all over the place with iron sites. Then I put some left over eggs up there and it was like they became laser focused. I guess it was because they wanted to see the eggs explode.
              this. Coke cans filled with water or styrofoam cups full of water make dramatic targets. Clay pigeons work as well.

Comment

I am not sure at what age you can tell which eye is their dominant. My son was devastated when I made him switch to shooting left handed when he was 7 because he is left eye dominant. He told me had been shooting right handed his whole life.

Comment

Originally posted by nativeaustin View Post
                  I am not sure at what age you can tell which eye is their dominant. My son was devastated when I made him switch to shooting left handed when he was 7 because he is left eye dominant. He told me had been shooting right handed his whole life.
                  My grand son was the same. Right handed and left eye dominate. I put a patch on his left eye for a few different shoots and now he is good.

Comment

Working...
                  X