Tipping At Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
    Thank you for your service. We don’t have to agree for me to respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks, and If we agreed life would be boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
      Sir, its no secret folk don’t see through the same lense as I, many have those rose colored versions.

My opinion, its the parents job to teach the child to read which opens up the world to them. I think teaching a child to read and to swim are two of the most important things a parent can do.

Folk get too hung up on organized education and religion. We are the church and we are teachers.

I agree with parents being the major teachers. Schools plant the seed, parents need to “grow” that.

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
        I'm on my feet for 12 hours in a job I chose to do as well. I've never been tipped, nor do I expect to. My issue with that is they are making a wage, getting paid per cut, or actually own the chair and getting every dollar they make in that spot minus a per head fee. If she fixes me a cup of coffee, I might consider it. I don't go to the meat market and ask which butcher cut the steaks I chose to give him a tip.
        Lol...I assume you’ve never received any recognition gifts, bonuses based off of performance, incentive pay, etc? And if you were offered I assumed you turned it down?

Maybe think of it from a different perspective....At your current job you’re working for a private entity and providing a service for that private entity for which they are compensating you for. At some point in your career I am sure there has been some type of performance based compensation you’ve received. I’m sure it put a smile a face, too.

The person cutting your hair is working for a private entity, too, but they’re performing a service for the public. Therefore their performance based compensation comes from the public (that’s you!).

I love these threads, it really opens my eyes to other people’s thought processes.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
          I agree with parents being the major teachers. Schools plant the seed, parents need to “grow” that.

Somewhere there is a Bible verse about sewing weeds. I think the education system is at that point. I think the parent should plant the crop and teach the kids to recognize the weeds.

I am not a teacher hater, just saying we are past the point to where we shoulda raised some holy cain
          Last edited by Johnny44; 08-02-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
            There was not a tip jar on the table I ate dinner at last night either but I still tipped. If I receive good service I compensate for it. Those people remember that act and my experience is that it will probably even be better service the next time I am there. I assure you they remember.
            I am certain you are a guy that I would not walk into a restaurant with more than once with so it doesn’t really matter now does it?

I never said I didn't tip at restaurants, and have never seen a tip jar on a dining table either. In fact, I said I usually tip around 20%, so you can pound sand with your last comment.

I just think some things deserve a tip and others don't.

Comment

[quote=hogslayer78;15010568]
              Originally posted by pilar View Post
              My hair cut cost $32 and I round it up to $40

$32 for a men's haircut?Does this include a perm and highlights?

Local barber charges me $15 to shave my head with straight razor and hot shaving cream! I give him $20.
              It’s not a barbershop shop , they serve you a mixed drink while waiting or sitting

My barber is $15 & I round up to $20

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                Lol...I assume you’ve never received any recognition gifts, bonuses based off of performance, incentive pay, etc? And if you were offered I assumed you turned it down?

Maybe think of it from a different perspective....At your current job you’re working for a private entity and providing a service for that private entity for which they are compensating you for. At some point in your career I am sure there has been some type of performance based compensation you’ve received. I’m sure it put a smile a face, too.

The person cutting your hair is working for a private entity, too, but they’re performing a service for the public. Therefore their performance based compensation comes from the public (that’s you!).

I love these threads, it really opens my eyes to other people’s thought processes.

we recieve a performance based incentive each and every year, depending on how our area and company as a whole do. That is part of my salary package. So It really isn't a tip. My boss has never walked in and said, I really appreciate you're hard work, here's an extra $100. That would be considered a tip. There's a difference.

Comment

That’s it, I’m putting a tip jar in my kitchen today..

Comment

we recieve a performance based incentive each and every year, depending on how our area and company as a whole do. That is part of my salary package. So It really isn't a tip. My boss has never walked in and said, I really appreciate you're hard work, here's an extra $100. That would be considered a tip. There's a difference.
                    Better performance equals better incentives...maybe we at least agree on that.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                      Better performance equals better incentives...maybe we at least agree on that.
                      If I work hard all year and my boss gives me a high performer rating as he did for 2019, my STIP was 2% higher than the ones that got the basic performer rating. That's the incentive. I can't control the company's EPS or staying under budget, but it ties to the incentive as well. so in fact, my "tip" may be affected by things out of my control.

Comment

That's like the person that cuts your hair having tip jar at their station. I'm paying for a haircut, I'm not getting served drinks and food. Why I quit going to the chain type hair places.
                        Same guy has been cutting my hair for 18 years. I’m pretty sure the extra $5 every 6 weeks isn’t going to bankrupt me but it keeps me from having a dang cowlick! He’s also one of a handful of people I make sure to give Christmas bonus to also. A little goes a long ways!

Comment

Actually, most good supervisory courses mention some schrink’s theology that “recognition” is a key human need.

In other chapters of these courses it discusses “the law of diminishing return”.

Comment

Haven't been to one in years. I go to a local girl who charges $12 for a guys haircut and she is great. It takes her 15 minutes and she doesn't have a tip jar suggesting she needs more money for what she's providing. If she thought she needed more she'll go up on her price.

My mother is bedridden on home hospice. We had some family Zoom's setup this week (brother got married last night) so I wanted to surprise her with a haircut to freshen her up. It took 3 days for my buds wives to find a gal to do this. Cut her hair while she was sitting up in her bed.

When she was done I asked her what the price. She said $15.

What would you consider a proper tip here?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                              Same guy has been cutting my hair for 18 years. I’m pretty sure the extra $5 every 6 weeks isn’t going to bankrupt me but it keeps me from having a dang cowlick! He’s also one of a handful of people I make sure to give Christmas bonus to also. A little goes a long ways!
                              I've yet to tip a barber and everytime I make an appointment she has time for me. And I get a haircut every 10-14 days. I couldn't go 6 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                                My mother is bedridden on home hospice. We had some family Zoom's setup this week (brother got married last night) so I wanted to surprise her with a haircut to freshen her up. It took 3 days for my buds wives to find a gal to do this. Cut her hair while she was sitting up in her bed.

When she was done I asked her what the price. She said $15.

What would you consider a proper tip here?
                                I'd give her $100 or maybe more. take up a collection. She didn't have to come to the house for that, but she did. Is that a tip or a blessing though?

Comment

Working...
                                X