No announcement yet.

2020 Saltwater Thread Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang I wish I could have gone with yall.

Just got home 16 hours later, I'd rather have a sore back from fishin that standing up all afternoon

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      Dang I wish I could have gone with yall.

Just got home 16 hours later, I'd rather have a sore back from fishin that standing up all afternoon

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just hung out at the shop all day because I didn’t know.....

Comment

Thanks again Shane! I enjoyed the day! It was a beautiful day to fish.

Comment

Great work as usual fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

WTH? Don't those fish know it's hunting season?

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
              Very nice! It's been really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Punkin View Post

I realize these are both personal preference type questions and there's no 1 right answer, but still curious as to what your opinion is. I'm considering purchasing some new saltwater setups and a 6:5-1 ratio is kind of where my mind is at but, I'm still so new to the salt water game that I could be way off base with that. For a rod, the only thing I've for sure decided on is that it needs a wide range of lure size capabilities.
                I have 3 basic types of setups that I use to cover most of what I do.

My wading rods are 6'6" to 6'9" fast action medium lights for the most part. They are generally rated for like 1/8-5/8 oz or something like that. I do have a couple medium action 6'6" rods that are a little bit heavier action that I use in the winter when I know I am going to be throwing heavier baits, those rods are more like 3/8-3/4 oz.

For a drift fishing rod to throw soft plastics I like a little longer rod. 7' fast action Med Light rod usually and good for 1/8-1/2 oz lures.

Last is 7' to 7'6" medium action live bait rods and I like a little slower softer action with those and they are rated for up to 3/4 oz. I use those mainly for throwing shrimp and popping corks but they also work well for fishing finger mullet, cut mullet for reds, freelining shrimp, etc.

For reels on my lure rods I like a baitcaster with a gear ratio in the 6:1 to 7:1 range. I don't like the super fast 8:1+ ratios. I think a slower gear ratio is actually better most of the time and if you have a hard time slowing down you may want to go more towards the 6:1 end. For live bait I use spinning rods and reels and for those I want as fast of a gear ratio as I can get. Being able to quickly pick up slack line is important.

I spend lots of money on my lure rods to get the lightest rods with nice crisp actions. I also buy the lightest reels I can get. For bait fishing I usually don't spend as much on the rods and I am not worried about getting the very lightest rod possible. I am more worried about durability and the slightly slower action of a less expensive rod actually works in your favor throwing live bait.

Comment

Late post but my dad and I managed to hit the lake Saturday morning. It’s been a long time since he and I fished together and the weather was beautiful. Didn’t load the boat but I did catch a couple for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by b.latiolais View Post
                    Late post but my dad and I managed to hit the lake Saturday morning. It’s been a long time since he and I fished together and the weather was beautiful. Didn’t load the boat but I did catch a couple for lunch.

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      I got one rod and reel that I can fish anything with. Find a combo that will do everything you need it to and be done with it.
                      Well that kinda talk ain't gonna pay my bills! ^^Don't listen to Panhandlerhunter...You need a bunch of rods and reels both bassfishing and saltwater fishing!!! And you need to replace all of them every 2-3 years

Comment

How are the tides and winds looking today? I've been in Wyoming for a month and supposed to go down to camp Sat/Sun to assess the damage from Beta, Delta beating me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          Anytime David, always always ALWAYS a pleasure!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            I just hung out at the shop all day because I didn’t know.....
                            See post 872

Comment

Shane looks sounds like yall went catching today instead of fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                                Shane looks sounds like yall went catching today instead of fishing.
                                Haha! Yes sir! It's fun to get a thump every cast, even if they are short

Comment

Working...
                                X