Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
    But, they look like the kinda fella who can cook a mean brisket
    Funny you should say that, we talked about pellet grills, bbq'ing and smoking briskets a good bit on that trip. And you are right, they know how to make some great bbq.

Really good guys. They have been fishing with me probably 5 or 6 years now. Lots of fun to fish with and the conversation is always good whether it's hunting, guns, cooking, bourbon, cigars, machining, mechanicing or whatever. They always have some cool project or another they are working on. Good folks.

Comment

I'll be fishing tomorrow before this weather turns. Hopefully the trout are still stacked where I left 'em in West Matty, or I may drift East Matty if the wind acts right. I'll have an open spot if anyone wants to jump on.... I'm a grinder so prepare accordingly.

Comment

I'm used to bass fishing and having different gear ratio's/rod combo's depending upon the fishing technique that rod is being used for. I'm curious if it's the same in saltwater fishing or do you just have multiple reels with the same gear ratio regardless of technique being used?

Comment

Originally posted by Punkin View Post
          I'm used to bass fishing and having different gear ratio's/rod combo's depending upon the fishing technique that rod is being used for. I'm curious if it's the same in saltwater fishing or do you just have multiple reels with the same gear ratio regardless of technique being used?

I got one rod and reel that I can fish anything with. Bass guys are crazy. Find a combo that will do everything you need it to and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Punkin View Post
            I had different set ups for different applications, much like bass fishing. Maybe it was the bass fisherman in me that made me do it. I site cast for reds a lot, so I’d have a spoon, swim bait, and texas rig rod. For trout I’d have a top water, corky, and jig(which hardly ever got used) rod. My goal was to be able to cast my lures as far and accurate as possible and the the right combos made that possible.

Comment

Inshore anglers tend towards combos that will handle a little wider variety of lures. That, I think, is a result of our wade fishing roots. When you walk away from the boat and can only really carry one rod you want it to be able to fish a bunch of different lures. That carries over even still with folks who fish out of the boat too. Plus, our bay boats are not set up to carry that many rods. If you have 3 guys fishing together in the same boat and they all bring 5 or 6 setups you are not going to have anyplace to put them all. We are more likely to fish with 2 or 3 different combos that cover a wide array of techniques and baits.

Comment

Whether on my boat or on someone else’s for a tourney I carry 2 rods, they are both the same and will catch anything from bull reds to crappie....

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  I'll be fishing tomorrow before this weather turns. Hopefully the trout are still stacked where I left 'em in West Matty, or I may drift East Matty if the wind acts right. I'll have an open spot if anyone wants to jump on.... I'm a grinder so prepare accordingly.
                  Good luck today. I saw you at Bucees this morning. Sure wish I wasn’t on my way to work. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    Good luck today. I saw you at Bucees this morning. Sure wish I wasn’t on my way to work. Lol
                    Dang sorry I missed you! DUCKFVR and I are gonna give em hell!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      I got one rod and reel that I can fish anything with. Bass guys are crazy. Find a combo that will do everything you need it to and be done with it.
                      Originally posted by slayr View Post
                      I had different set ups for different applications, much like bass fishing. Maybe it was the bass fisherman in me that made me do it. I site cast for reds a lot, so I’d have a spoon, swim bait, and texas rig rod. For trout I’d have a top water, corky, and jig(which hardly ever got used) rod. My goal was to be able to cast my lures as far and accurate as possible and the the right combos made that possible.
                      Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                      Inshore anglers tend towards combos that will handle a little wider variety of lures. That, I think, is a result of our wade fishing roots. When you walk away from the boat and can only really carry one rod you want it to be able to fish a bunch of different lures. That carries over even still with folks who fish out of the boat too. Plus, our bay boats are not set up to carry that many rods. If you have 3 guys fishing together in the same boat and they all bring 5 or 6 setups you are not going to have anyplace to put them all. We are more likely to fish with 2 or 3 different combos that cover a wide array of techniques and baits.
                      Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      Whether on my boat or on someone else’s for a tourney I carry 2 rods, they are both the same and will catch anything from bull reds to crappie....
                      Y'all pretty well confirmed my suspicions. I just don't see people on the bay carrying 8 to 12 rods like I see, and do, in bass fishing. So that leads to my next question. What gear ratio do you prefer to use for that "all in 1" setup? Also, what rod are you putting it on? I don't necessarily mean the brand, more curious about the power and action of the rod.

I realize these are both personal preference type questions and there's no 1 right answer, but still curious as to what your opinion is. I'm considering purchasing some new saltwater setups and a 6:5-1 ratio is kind of where my mind is at but, I'm still so new to the salt water game that I could be way off base with that. For a rod, the only thing I've for sure decided on is that it needs a wide range of lure size capabilities.

Comment

I believe my Concepts are 7.3:1. I like a medium light fast action rod, 6’6” or close to it.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          This.

My favorite rods will throw a wacky worm or a she dog just the same.

Dang sorry I missed you! DUCKFVR and I are gonna give em hell!

Be sure and test the water depth before you let David step out

Comment

I usually have 3 rod and reels with me. 6’6 med light fast action rigged with a soft plastic. One will be a 6’6-6’9 med with fast tip rigged with a top water or jerk bait and the last one will be a 6’9 med light fast rigged with a corky or something of that nature or maybe a different style soft plastic either larger or smaller than the first rod. One might have a down south super model and the other will have a burner shad.

Most my reels and 7:3:1. I have a 8:1 but I don’t much care for the ratio but it does have its place I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ol' FVR and I caught fish all day, easily 120 plus fish day. Problem was most were short on one side We still had a beautiful day on the water and managed a few for the fryer.

I can't count how many 19 inch reds and 14 inch trout we caught. Unbelievable amount of fish in the bays right now.

Comment

Ol' FVR and I caught fish all day, easily 120 plus fish day. Problem was most were short on one side We still had a beautiful day on the water and managed a few for the fryer.

I can't count how many 19 inch reds and 14 inch trout we caught. Unbelievable amount of fish in the bays right now.

Well done guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X