Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know. It's a good question.

Comment

I understand what you're saying, but I thought he said he fired the second round, not that it fired upon bolt closing.
      I felt the blowback as I pulled the trigger, I had the rifle shouldered, pulled the trigger and felt several small specks hit my face

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
        I was shooting my CZ 22 hornet the other evening and on the second shot I felt something hit my face. I thought that was weird, as I opened the bolt a strange amount of smoke came out of the chamber/bolt area. I bent down and picked up my casings to toss in the brush and noticed the bullet below. I looked in the chamber and the small primer was sitting there. I've never had this happened before and was wondering what caused it. The bullet is a hornady varmint express 35 grain v-max Lot #3183678
        if the casing came out, how was the primer in the chamber? Not sure how that happens.

Comment

I felt the blowback as I pulled the trigger, I had the rifle shouldered, pulled the trigger and felt several small specks hit my face
          hmmm...OK. I guess I don't that much about guns. I was under the impression that if the bolt is locked, it is tight. Guess not. Not doubting you...just sounds strange.

When you found the bullit, had it gone down the barrel or come out when you did the bolt?

Comment

When you found the bullit, had it gone down the barrel or come out when you did the bolt?
            the bullet fired, the casing ejected like normal when I worked the bolt on the rifle, other than excessive smoke coming out of the chamber/bolt area

I dont know if its the bullets "fault" or the rifles "fault"..... I've only shot this rifle about 40 times, it has been a really great shooter and I've enjoyed it. I'm just not sure if I should take it to a gun smith or not....I'm just glad it was a 22 hornet and not my 300 weatherby

Comment

Happened to me on a 26 nosler. It was a reload I had loaded. Over pressure got and me. Gun powder hit me in the face. Blew the primer out and shot the bullet at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I can tell you for certain that was an over pressure round. Had the same thing happen on my 22-250 Ackley but it was high enough pressure to lock the bolt up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Over pressure for sure. Stretched out the primer pocket, and shed the primer. At that point, you’ve got two avenues for gas escape. The end of the barrel and the flash hole in your brass.

Comment

The primer sure don't look like a high pressure issue. I'd surmise maybe just a loose primer pocket, or an undersized primer. It looks perfectly normal except it's not in the casing. Seen that happen before too. No evidence given so far that would lead me to believe excess pressure. Gun functioned normally and all the pieces look normal except the primer came out the pocket.

Edit to also add, this was NOT a "bullet" failure. It was a cartridge failure. The bullet apparently did it's job or at least the OP did not say it was still in the barrel, but even then, that's not bullet failure. That's still cartridge failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      hmmm...OK. I guess I don't that much about guns. I was under the impression that if the bolt is locked, it is tight. Guess not. Not doubting you...just sounds strange.

The bolt doesn’t seal, the brass expands to seal but in this case the primer popped leaving a way for the gasses to leak behind that seal

Comment

Regardless of the cause, recommend checking the bore for a lodged bullet just to be safe before firing again

Comment

I had this happen with a 17 Remington a few years ago. I shot a few rounds and then the fourth one blew gunpowder back in my face. Luckily I was wearing my sunglasses.

Shot 6 more rounds and out of those 4 of them had some blowback. It ended up being the cases were out of spec and had nothing to do with my reloads, which are not loaded hot to begin with. The supplier replaced them with new brass and have not had the problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            The bolt doesn’t seal, the brass expands to seal but in this case the primer popped leaving a way for the gasses to leak behind that seal
                            Makes sense, thanx

Comment

Working...
                            X