Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middle of North Texas Hunting Thread 4th Edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the 1st pic I got...

Comment

When I saw it, I thought "kill him", but I've also been watching a beautiful 10 point all year that looks like Tarzan from the side, and Jane from the front. Our county requires that they be at least 13" wide, and I DID NOT want to screw up her 1st buck.

So I told her to send a better pic of the spread......all with my pants around my ankles, 40yds behind the blind, and maybe 110yds from the deer....and it was DEAD EFFING STILL...

This is where I lose all service and can't get anything on my phone. I'm in full squat, holding my phone up in the tree next to me trying to get a signal. I could get her text messages, and see that she was trying to send pics, but they wouldn't come through. I finally got paperwork done, and stood up. I thought sure I would get a signal standing up and holding my phone up behind the tree trunk...but no. At one point I told her "if you like him, kill him", but she wasn't sure...

Comment

There was an armadillo somewhere around the blind, not sure why that was relevant, but there I was....underwear up, pants down...

Keep in mind, no more pics had downloaded yet.

Comment

So I get my pants up, veeeeeery slowly and have to do something. I was afraid a doe would come out, and he'd take off. I texted her that I was going to start sneaking further away from the blind to try to get a signal. There is a group of trees 40yds behind me, and I had SOME cover, but the entire ground is covered in dead leaves, and it is DEAD CALM for the 1st time ever. So I started belly crawling, one hand.....one foot.....other hand ....other foot....away from the scene toward these trees.

Comment

Keep in mind, that pic had not loaded yet.

Comment

Oh, ****. Not literally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I got about 25 yards to the trees that would give me full cover, hands and knees.......and I heard the feeder go off! For a half second I thought the feeder might scare him, but then thought "This is my chance", so I took off low running to those trees, and got there. I held my phone up over my head and a picture came through.

Comment

About 20 seconds later I heard her .270 bark! I didn’t hear the thump, but at that range, I wouldn’t. I didn’t hear the long echo of a miss either. So I sprinted to the blind.

Comment

Come on man type! I gotta go to bed but this is too good!!

Comment

Blair shot her 1st couple hogs and a doe with my .264Mag, then her dad figured out that she was into this huntin deal, so some years back he sent us home from a visit to his house with her grandmother's Model Four Remington .270 with and OOOLD Redfield 2X7 wideview scope. It served her well over the years, but it's not great. So last week he dropped off a much newer Nikon, and I mounted it last week. I sighted it in at camp saturday morning, and everything was smooth as silk. Last shot was 3/4"high at 90 yds. I KNEW that rifle was ready.

When I opened that deer blind door, I saw a look of sheer panic! "It didn't hit him, he just trotted off...". She's used to everything she shoots dropping where she shoots it, so I wasn't THAT worried. It was like 4:40 at that point, so I scanned the area he ran toward with my binos but didn't see anything.

Judge me if you will, but I have seen this girl shoot. I told her to grab her rifle, and I took my binos, and we went down to the "spot". I knew she didn't miss, and I wanted all the daylight if he wasn't hit just right. As soon as we got to the corn spot, she found a spot of blood right where he was standing, about the size of my thumb. Real dark, but not bad....we found another about 4' away, and not much for another 6 or 8 minutes. I work blood tracks VERY slow, and she was super irritated with me for not letting her walk off in the direction he went. Then we found more blood where he turned, and the next was bigger, and the next bigger, until we were walking upright following. I told her pretty quick "this deer is dead". We turned around a tree and I could see the blood trail going 20yds across a small clearing, until I saw the deer laying behind a tree.

I'm gonna tell yall the truth, that girl was SHOOK! She never had one take a step! It was really cool to say "There he is babe, he's dead, and he's AWESOME!".

Thanks for following, I'm super happy for her, it's been a long time coming, and she did it right!
                        Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-23-2020, 11:44 PM.

Comment

That’s the exit hole, he took a step quartering to, right before she shot. Went about 60yds.

Comment

She done good Mo! Heck of a write up! You’ve always been good with words.

Comment

Originally posted by Agdog View Post
                              Come on man type! I gotta go to bed but this is too good!!
                              You got the LDP before he was room temperature!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                                She done good Mo! Heck of a write up! You’ve always been good with words.

Thanks, brother! It was fun stuff seeing everyone come into camp and walk to the skinnin rack and go "yep, that's a toad". She's super pumped.

Comment

Working...
                                X