No announcement yet.

2020/2021 east texas hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the last couple days have been pretty active with movement. Today got really windy around 10am and some of the gusts were crazy. Still saw a couple younger bucks around noon and a new shooter buck I havent seen on any cameras at my other feeder about 175 yards away. He was either on the scent of a doe in the opposite direction or was chasing off the younger bucks that went the same way just before him.

Noticed more does roaming around this week than I thought were on the property so I ended up shooting a doe this evening around 5:30pm. One of the few that didnt have a fawn in tow. She dropped at the feeder so I let her sit until last light in case that new buck came by. Ended up seeing another young 4 point and another young 6 point(probably a shooter, but too young).

I have some real work to do on my shooting or need my bow checked out. I dont know if its the fever, because I was cold, that she nearly caught me 3 times mid draw, or that she was the exact same spot as my target buck tragedy on Tuesday, but when I got to her my arrow was in her neck(not where I was aiming). It was a worst shot than Tuesday, I just got lucky that she dropped. Practiced when I got here and I was solid at 20, 30 & 40 yards. I am at a complete loss right now.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
      I don't post a lot on this site a lot any longer as the ministry and job has grown so much, but I thoroughly enjoy reading through this thread every season and seeing pictures of some great east Texas deer. I'm very grateful for those that take the time to post and thought I should do the same.

Spent 5 days hunting Trinity county, Friday through Tuesday. Caught this one slipping last Friday evening right at sunset after the front passed, and then shot a doe Tuesday morning. He was not stained up yet at all. Low fence deer that we had no history with and may be only 4.5. Scored for TBGA at 168 2/8 gross. 16 scorable points and over 35" of mass. 16 yard shot after a really tough draw with a doe at 15 yards. He made it maybe 30 yards with an arrow through a shoulder blade, across the top of his heart, and lodged in the offside rib cage.

Word got out pretty quick and a member of a deer lease about 5 miles away had pictures of him through the spring and summer. Pretty interesting. We didn't run cameras this year but suspect he took up residence in one of our sanctuaries in early October, and it just happens to be next to our best bow stand that is pretty much unbeatable on a north wind. Being patient, staying out of there, and waiting for a late October front to go in there paid off.
      Holy smokes. What a beauty.

Congrats to you sir.

J

Comment

Awesome buck CAPN

Comment

Had a buddy hunting Newton County today. Said the deer were on there feet and moving all about. Saw 7 by 11:30 this morning

Comment

[QUOTE=Johnny;15205651]Colton got good video of him. Said he was BIG standing in front of him. He was taken off the hit list after reviewing dozens of pics of him last season. I know you think we crazy but trust me on this one. If he makes it through the season you will know why next year.lol He's got the makings of being a serious deer.

I have little doubt he will be better next year if he makes it. Probably even better in three more years. All that said I am not sure what the chances are that he will be standing there broad side again then. I pass deer every year that I probably shouldn't pass. As a matter of fact darn near my entire shoot list this year are deer I passed after they were big.

I hope it pays off for you. Me personally, if that deer walks out on me tomorrow I will shoot him and gladly put my houston. Co tag on him.

Comment

I love taking mature deer but at the end of the day the way I see it is, if it gets me excited then it’s worth taking it.

Comment

Breakfast stop then a few miles till the pavement ends

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I sat at my bow lease in Montgomery County yesterday evening and had a solid deer I passed on last year just show up for the first time. He was on a doe and stayed 80 yards out. If he plays the script like he did the past 2 years, he will stick around my area over the next month. Colton and I will have both of our stands covered this morning. He shows up at both of these stands during the rut.

Last late October

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck Johny and Colten!

Comment

I’ve been following this thread for the past two years since beginning to hunt ETX again. I’m on a lease in Houston Co. now near Lovelady. I’m continually impressed by the size and age of some of the bucks you all harvest. I’ve also learned a tremendous amount from different guys on this thread. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and ldp’s.

It’s a beautiful morning in the stand today. I had a good mature 8 at 23 yrds yesterday, but didn’t have a clear shot. They are running the does pretty hard here right now.

Good luck to everyone the rest of the season.

Comment

Hes a stud Johnny. Stick him

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
                          I don't post a lot on this site a lot any longer as the ministry and job has grown so much, but I thoroughly enjoy reading through this thread every season and seeing pictures of some great east Texas deer. I'm very grateful for those that take the time to post and thought I should do the same.

Spent 5 days hunting Trinity county, Friday through Tuesday. Caught this one slipping last Friday evening right at sunset after the front passed, and then shot a doe Tuesday morning. He was not stained up yet at all. Low fence deer that we had no history with and may be only 4.5. Scored for TBGA at 168 2/8 gross. 16 scorable points and over 35" of mass. 16 yard shot after a really tough draw with a doe at 15 yards. He made it maybe 30 yards with an arrow through a shoulder blade, across the top of his heart, and lodged in the offside rib cage.

Word got out pretty quick and a member of a deer lease about 5 miles away had pictures of him through the spring and summer. Pretty interesting. We didn't run cameras this year but suspect he took up residence in one of our sanctuaries in early October, and it just happens to be next to our best bow stand that is pretty much unbeatable on a north wind. Being patient, staying out of there, and waiting for a late October front to go in there paid off.
                          Man O man, Congrats on a stud! Beautiful deer

Comment

What a beautiful morning to be in the woods!! Too dang bad I'm sitting here in my office looking out the winder!!

Y'all stick somethin'!! Deer are gettin' fired up around my house... runnin' all around the pasture behind the house... Maybe I'll get a sit in tomorrow mornin'...

Comment

It’s a beautiful morning and I have not seen a single deer. I’m sure they were all over the place between about 10 and 2 last night though.

Comment

moco

[QUOTE=Johnny;15207777]I sat at my bow lease in Montgomery County yesterday evening and had a solid deer I passed on last year just show up for the first time. He was on a doe and stayed 80 yards out. If he plays the script like he did the past 2 years, he will stick around my area over the next month. Colton and I will have both of our stands covered this morning. He shows up at both of these stands during the rut.

Last late October

Good luck Johnny.... they were chasing last night in the backyard while grilling shrimp. That's a toad of a MOCO buck. Ready for some LDPs

Comment

Working...
                                X