No announcement yet.

2020/2021 east texas hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolute stud CAPN congrats. It would've be a really tough draw to me too because I would literally be shaking like a leaf during a hurricane

Comment

Great deer SRK and Capn! Congrats to both of y’all

Comment

Wow! What a great buck!

Comment

My word what an awesome deer. Congratulations!

It’s amazing he moved 5 miles like that. I wonder what prompted him to go so far.
          Last edited by Etxbuckman; 10-29-2020, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Awesome buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
              Absolute stud CAPN congrats. It would've be a really tough draw to me too because I would literally be shaking like a leaf during a hurricane
              Lol! Honestly the shakes didn't hit me until after I heard him crash hard. It was such a tense situation with only moment to shoot. That old doe had been eating and staring at me for 45 minutes. Couldn't make me out, but knew something 20ft up that pine didn't look right. The buck came under me and crossed within 8 or 10 yards behind me. Trying to get turned, clipped in, and drawn seemed impossible with her looking darn near underneath me. I really wanted to look him over with binos and age him in the low light, but knew I would get busted if I tried. Had to decide shoot or no shoot quick..
              When drawing, I honestlY watched the doe the whole time I inched the string back as slow and smooth as I possibly could. Right as I got him in my peep he turned just slightly to me and got behind a branch. Pull off the peep, watch the doe, lean as far out the front of the stand as I could as slow as I could, and thumped him in the shoulder.

Honestly, there was so much going on so quick, and I was so focused on not letting that mature doe bust me, I never got nervous. And then I heard him crash hard... and let me tell you I thought I was gonna shake the stand out of the tree! I tried to get my phone and video the shakes cause I was laughing at myself, and I couldn't get my phone out of my pocket. LOL

Comment

Wow heck of a buck! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
                  I don't post a lot on this site a lot any longer as the ministry and job has grown so much, but I thoroughly enjoy reading through this thread every season and seeing pictures of some great east Texas deer. I'm very grateful for those that take the time to post and thought I should do the same.

Spent 5 days hunting Trinity county, Friday through Tuesday. Caught this one slipping last Friday evening right at sunset after the front passed, and then shot a doe Tuesday morning. He was not stained up yet at all. Low fence deer that we had no history with and may be only 4.5. Scored for TBGA at 168 2/8 gross. 16 scorable points and over 35" of mass. 16 yard shot after a really tough draw with a doe at 15 yards. He made it maybe 30 yards with an arrow through a shoulder blade, across the top of his heart, and lodged in the offside rib cage.

Word got out pretty quick and a member of a deer lease about 5 miles away had pictures of him through the spring and summer. Pretty interesting. We didn't run cameras this year but suspect he took up residence in one of our sanctuaries in early October, and it just happens to be next to our best bow stand that is pretty much unbeatable on a north wind. Being patient, staying out of there, and waiting for a late October front to go in there paid off.
                  Great deer and story!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Little to no deer movement in the NF. Swirling winds made this evening a tough hunt. Hopefully we get some clear skies tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Deer are moving like crazy. Guy at our lease saw 8 deer yesterday evening, which is a lot for us, then this morning shot a 5.5 year old buck and after packing him
                      Out and Corning the place had several more deer come by after he left.

East Texas should be hot for the next week

Comment

Great deer cap!!

I'll be rolling north in a few hours. Prosecutors just watching but I might shank a nanny

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome deer Capn!

Comment

Originally posted by capn View Post
                            I don't post a lot on this site a lot any longer as the ministry and job has grown so much, but I thoroughly enjoy reading through this thread every season and seeing pictures of some great east Texas deer. I'm very grateful for those that take the time to post and thought I should do the same.

Spent 5 days hunting Trinity county, Friday through Tuesday. Caught this one slipping last Friday evening right at sunset after the front passed, and then shot a doe Tuesday morning. He was not stained up yet at all. Low fence deer that we had no history with and may be only 4.5. Scored for TBGA at 168 2/8 gross. 16 scorable points and over 35" of mass. 16 yard shot after a really tough draw with a doe at 15 yards. He made it maybe 30 yards with an arrow through a shoulder blade, across the top of his heart, and lodged in the offside rib cage.

Word got out pretty quick and a member of a deer lease about 5 miles away had pictures of him through the spring and summer. Pretty interesting. We didn't run cameras this year but suspect he took up residence in one of our sanctuaries in early October, and it just happens to be next to our best bow stand that is pretty much unbeatable on a north wind. Being patient, staying out of there, and waiting for a late October front to go in there paid off.
                            Goodnight! What a hoss!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I couldn’t pass on this cass county 12 point. 8:30 am[/QUOTE]

Good looking buck. Congratulations!

Comment

[QUOTE=capn;15206913]I don't post a lot on this site a lot any longer as the ministry and job has grown so much, but I thoroughly enjoy reading through this thread every season and seeing pictures of some great east Texas deer. I'm very grateful for those that take the time to post and thought I should do the same.

Good write-up on a great buck. Congratulations! Patience paid off.

Comment

Working...
                                X