No announcement yet.

Land search and purchasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3-5 hrs puts you anywhere in the Pineywoods you want to be. Much cheaper land prices here.

Comment

You need to Contact Chance Love on here. The dude spends A LOT of time researching areas and knows a lot about different areas of the State and what the pros and cons are of those areas.

Comment

It is amazing the difference in pricing from area to area.
        Leon county is inexpensive and so is land in north central compared to Brazos/Washington/Grimes or the hill country. We are buying and selling now so I try to keep up with prices.

But I would never buy more than 2-2.5 hours from home.
        Electricity and water are must haves. Timber/rolling terrain for me is a must
        Some type of tank or locations for A tank is also a must.

If you find a partner, I know a great place in Leon co !

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
          You need to Contact Chance Love on here. The dude spends A LOT of time researching areas and knows a lot about different areas of the State and what the pros and cons are of those areas.
          X2

Comment

I have seen a couple comments about partnering up with friends or family. Be very careful about this type of arrangement. Financial, marital, and general interest changes can impact these arrangements.

What happens if your partner decides he no longer wants to own the land? Are you forced to buy him/her out? What price? What about selling his/her interest to a 3rd party? Do you have to approve of the third party? What about improvements? Who pays for them? What if one party wants something done and the other doesn't? The list is never ending...

There are soooo many potential pitfalls and legal/relationship issues. Just be mindful that circumstances are always changing.

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
              That being said, for those who have purchased land, what are some of the things you wished you looked more into when purchasing? Electricity, water, game, land access, etc etc?? Thanks for the help
              Distance! I own land in two east texas counties...…..waaaaay to far to justify. They are growing timber however.
              Originally posted by STGS View Post
              I have seen a couple comments about partnering up with friends or family. Be very careful about this type of arrangement. Financial, marital, and general interest changes can impact these arrangements.

What happens if your partner decides he no longer wants to own the land? Are you forced to buy him/her out? What price? What about selling his/her interest to a 3rd party? Do you have to approve of the third party? What about improvements? Who pays for them? What if one party wants something done and the other doesn't? The list is never ending...

There are soooo many potential pitfalls and legal/relationship issues. Just be mindful that circumstances are always changing.
              I had the same reaction. Obviously it is possible to do but it would be like finding a diamond in mud.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                Remember there is a difference in asking price and what the real price is. I know a lot of places around here listed for $7,000+. In reality most sells for about $3,000. I often laugh at some of the land that gets listed in the classifieds here. Especially the places around me. They ask an insane price. Lots of people from Dallas post about what a great price it is and how it won't last long.....a year later it is still for sale. Don't drink the kool aid.

-john
                John, we bought land north of you outside Alba last year for a great price, but I have seen some of those 10k/acre places that don't even come close to being what we have. By the way, tell Charli BJ says hi. Hope yall area enjoying things down there, and we miss seeing her at the post office.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post

Great advice. I would never enter into such an agreement with as many unknowns that would come along with it. My view is that if I can't afford it on my own then I can't afford it. To each his own though.

Comment

Pretty simple actually. Bigger tracts are cheaper. Everything is agreed to a split before you buy.
                    Not be co-tenants. Just buying land with at least one good neighbor.
                    With first right of refusal if they decide to sell later.

I bought with my family and it has been great to share fun and work.

Big pig

Comment

Some great info guys. I would rather stay on this side of interstate 45 for sure and of course the closer the better by I need some topography for sure. I'm going to send Chance a message to see what we can come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by calfroper_06 View Post
                        I know this has been posted time and time again. The price of land is all over the place. Its hard to keep that american dream of owning your own place when you're working so hard to finally purchase only to find that land within a budget has risen thousands more per acre.

I'm on the hunt to find something within 3-5hrs of College Station, Texas. Has anyone had any luck finding or know someone that can help. I'm looking for 50 to 150 or so depending on price. These places going for 10-20k an acre just are not reachable.

That being said, for those who have purchased land, what are some of the things you wished you looked more into when purchasing? Electricity, water, game, land access, etc etc?? Thanks for the help
                        PM sent

Comment

Forget the hill country or your surrounding area - completely ridiculous with prices. I ended up looking way north, west and south and was lucky to find something small south. Good luck, it is awesome so far.

Comment

PM Sent

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                              John, we bought land north of you outside Alba last year for a great price, but I have seen some of those 10k/acre places that don't even come close to being what we have. By the way, tell Charli BJ says hi. Hope yall area enjoying things down there, and we miss seeing her at the post office.
                              Will do buddy. She is moving from the post office here in Fruitvale to the one in Edgewood. She hopes to have a better schedule and will able to fill in a little more in Alba.

-john

Comment

Water availability is key especially if you ever want to sell any of it. If you try selling part of your land the water company sees $$$$ and sees the opportunity for you to pay for a new water line that they desperately need to add or upgrade for their maxed out system.

Comment

Working...
                                X