Stock Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
    Go simple, invest in index funds (either S&P or total market).
    And dont jump all in at once. Pick an amount weekly or monthly and just put it into the fund(s) you select. I think this is the best route for someone who isnt comfortable with picking individual stocks. Also, if you dont have the time to devote to it because of career, family, etc. it is the best route to go. As mentioned, just sitting on the sidelines in cash is a losing proposition over time. Inflation is going to start sometime in the next couple years and will eat at the value at that cash.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      And dont jump all in at once. Pick an amount weekly or monthly and just put it into the fund(s) you select. I think this is the best route for someone who isnt comfortable with picking individual stocks. Also, if you dont have the time to devote to it because of career, family, etc. it is the best route to go. As mentioned, just sitting on the sidelines in cash is a losing proposition over time. Inflation is going to start sometime in the next couple years and will eat at the value at that cash.
      I have both a traditional IRA and a Roth IRA held as cash with Fidelity. Should I get a local investment advisor, or do something else?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

When you say cash, I’m assuming money market? Call fidelity and work out what works best for you and goals. Pending how long you have done this, you might have missed out on thousands.

Originally posted by Keith View Post
        I have both a traditional IRA and a Roth IRA held as cash with Fidelity. Should I get a local investment advisor, or do something else?

Comment

This is why I'm not currently in the stock market, I don't understand it, I have no clue what to do. I'm not making any money, but I'm not losing my money either.

You're absolutely losing money if you're sitting on cash as a long term strategy. Yes, you should get an advisor.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
            You're absolutely losing money if you're sitting on cash as a long term strategy. Yes, you should get an advisor.
            Do you put any stock in the Endorsed Local Provider that Dave Ramsey recommends and is 30 minutes away, or pick someone at the local Edward D. Jones? Living in a small town, I don't have many choices.

Comment

Do you put any stock in the Endorsed Local Provider that Dave Ramsey recommends and is 30 minutes away, or pick someone at the local Edward D. Jones? Living in a small town, I don't have many choices.

Besides my Fidelity account which is my play money I have an Edwards Jones account that I put money in and let them run the show. Whatever they put my money they make me money. If there is one near you I would check them out.

Comment

It’s more on someone that you trust and are comfortable with. I have a play account that I manage and my actual retirement account that my FA manages. He knows where we want to be at and so far is on target to beat that goal, worth the 1% I pay him

Comment

I just searched Dave Ramsey and the neared ELP is 40 minutes from me, most of them are in the DFW metroplex. I'll go by the local Edward D Jones and talk to someone there.

Comment

I just searched Dave Ramsey and the neared ELP is 40 minutes from me, most of them are in the DFW metroplex. I'll go by the local Edward D Jones and talk to someone there.

I'm not a big Dave Ramsey fan so no help there. But as said before, I'd find someone you trust....maybe through recommendations. They don't have to be local. Heck, mine is in Mississippi....which after typing that out doesn't sound like a great idea. He's actually family so it's ok.

Comment

Keith, call Michael Ream in Sulphur Springs.

Comment

I had Edward Jones for a bit. Was not pleased with the customer service. Put me in some American Funds which I understand that is typical. Trying just to talk to my guy was difficult. After some research learned that EJ will most likely put you in these fee based accounts. So they get most of their money up front so if you leave, they don’t care. I think there was even a lawsuit based on this a few years back. I’m sure not all EJ firms are like this but my guy did this to us. Moved on and never looked back. I would stay away from EJ if possible, unless you find a person you really trust and come highly recommended.

Good luck!

Comment

Fidelity offers Professionally Managed Accounts. They a pretty good job at a not too expensive rate. They currently managed about 40% of my money in a very divesified manner.

Comment

When ya'll talk about having a management firm manage your accounts, What is the minimum these firms are working with? I don't have a ton to invest, but I'm clearly not very good at picking stocks based off what I saw this morning.

Comment

Man this has been a rough 10 days!!!!! I hope the bottom is hit soon

I have lost $30k or more Since March 15th in my stocks alone

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                Man this has been a rough 10 days!!!!! I hope the bottom is hit soon

I have lost $30k or more Since March 15th in my stocks alone
                                It has been painful for sure. But you don't lose unless you sell!! That doesn't make it any easier to look at.

Comment

Working...
                                X