No announcement yet.

Protein feed trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record Rack 20% mixed with a little corn (~5:1 protein to corn) has worked well for us. Bucks are hammering it the last few weeks.

Comment

I have seen several people mention feeders clogging up. One thing I have learned from these trials is that clogged feeders is a result of low consumption. The feeder with food the deer like has had no clogging. During the rainy days the feeder the deer do not care for will swell up and clogg. I have to dig the wet stuff out after each rain. The feeder with feed the deer like will have the wet stuff eaten out and will continue to function.

Comment

Originally posted by Whampuscat2 View Post
        I have seen several people mention feeders clogging up. One thing I have learned from these trials is that clogged feeders is a result of low consumption. The feeder with food the deer like has had no clogging. During the rainy days the feeder the deer do not care for will swell up and clogg. I have to dig the wet stuff out after each rain. The feeder with feed the deer like will have the wet stuff eaten out and will continue to function.
        This^^^^ I hunted in that county for years. Unless it is a dry spring and low amount of good browse protein is hit and miss. For around the same price of protein buy a few bags of Big Tine Fortified Deer Blend. East Tx deer love it.
        Last edited by Bayouboy; 05-31-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

We are in Trinity Co. they ate 120k lbs of L&E last year.

Comment

L/E wheeler 20 12 is what we have been feeding for 20 years

Comment

I feed West and my deer love it!

Comment

Protein feed trials

Just put a double down sticker on your feeder and your deer will hammer it regardless of what’s in it[emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

im doing something similar with regular cotton seed and fortified cotton seed. I'm trying to get the feed store manager to carry fortified.

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
                    We are in Trinity Co. they ate 120k lbs of L&E last year.
                    Filled up with L&E Friday, will be interesting to see how much the deer will eat. I was told by the feed store owner that it was better than Double Down. We will see. Hopefully, it is cheaper and easy to find.

Comment

Only used Antlermax but always added roasted Soybeans if available, but we also only had a free choice protein 1 per 100 acres
                      Last edited by whitetailfanatic; 06-01-2020, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X