Pup sharks in the surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pup sharks in the surf

Who else has a blast catching these things? Getting ready for our first beach trip of the summer next week. Hoping the swells allow for some fishing. I know everyone loves to catch specks and reds, as do I. But for mid day fun catching 20-30” blacktips and spinners in the surf on bass tackle sure is fun. Plus they eat good too!

This 40” had me all the way down to the spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good times

Comment

We used to drop anchor about even with the end of the north Jetty, on San Jose Island and catch one sand shark after another. We were trying to catch jacks, but getting past the layer of sand sharks was hard. We had to put heavier weights to get the bait to sink faster, to increase our chances of getting down to the jacks and not hooking another sand shark. Those things are a pain to dehook in a hurry, when you are trying to get your bait back in the water. When we got into them, your bait was never in the water more than 10 seconds before something took off with it. We used our bay fishing spinning tackle, so it was more fun.

Comment

Loved it when little sharks zip up and snags my wife or kids live shrimp on the north jetty! And they see it happen.. Fun times.

Comment

Are those all on plastics?

Comment

Originally posted by ecook1228 View Post
            Are those all on plastics?

No, finger mullet

Comment

You can have em all

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                You can have em all
                No doubt. If I'm trying to catch a shark I am trying to catch a big one. These little rascals have cost me a fortune in jig heads, hooks, and topwaters.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                  No doubt. If I'm trying to catch a shark I am trying to catch a big one. These little rascals have cost me a fortune in jig heads, hooks, and topwaters.

That’s why I target them specifically. 18” thin wire Carolina rig and never had one cut me off. I can’t tell you how many plastics I’ve lost on early morning wades due to them.

Comment

Very cool. What kind of bass tackle were you using?

Comment

Going next week with sole intention to target them. Great Eating

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
                        Very cool. What kind of bass tackle were you using?

Just a curado on a 7’ MH rod

Comment

Do you just filet them out or do you skin them like cats? also, do you bleed them out?

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                            Do you just filet them out or do you skin them like cats? also, do you bleed them out?

Gut, remove head and fins then slice vertically into steaks. Leaves the skin on and grill over charcoal

Comment

I hate those little suckers. Sometimes they’re downright nasty on a topwater.

Comment

Working...
                              X