No announcement yet.

Rental property owners....question for ya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the gates on any kind of custom built frame, its gona take time to fix also. I just built 100 sq ft of board on board, 15 posts, 6ft. Stained and for me to do it, it was right at 3k. Hopefully you ll get it solved.

Comment

I had to have a metal shop make my gates.... stuffs not cheap now adays. Thats for sure.

Comment

Let them know she has till Friday to get someone out there/repairs started or you will fix it and deduct from rent. Sounds like a crappy landlord from the other stuff but at the same time I’m not big on fixing other people’s property

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
          Its just a gate...Who makes an insurance claim for just a gate?

Get two 2x4, cut to length and screw it acros the span of the gate to other portions of the fence that are still standing. Put one at the top and one at the bottom. At least it will be in place and you can let the dogs out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Your lease should spell out what repairs the tenant is responsible for and what repairs the landlord is responsible for. Otherwise, it defaults to the Texas Property code which says the landlord is only required to make repairs for things that affect the health and safety of an ordinary individual.

Comment

Originally posted by pervis View Post
              If the gates on any kind of custom built frame, its gona take time to fix also. I just built 100 sq ft of board on board, 15 posts, 6ft. Stained and for me to do it, it was right at 3k. Hopefully you ll get it solved.
              FWIW - gate was built originally out of only fence slats. Posts are still in place as well as hinges.

It’s definitely something I could build on my own, but I feel I got burned on a $600 fence rebuild last year, hence why I was asking how to handle now.

I do appreciate the majority of advice given here tonight. Thank you all

Comment

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
                FWIW - gate was built originally out of only fence slats. Posts are still in place as well as hinges.

It’s definitely something I could build on my own, but I feel I got burned on a $600 fence rebuild last year, hence why I was asking how to handle now.

I do appreciate the majority of advice given here tonight. Thank you all
                Just remember your old friend karma. You done good on the fence...it will come back to you somewhere!

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Maybe fix it and take "X" amount of next month's rent. If agreed upon.

Comment

There are renters rights..do some research, there is a clause for asking about something being fixed and it not getting done. It also mentions the tenant fixing and it being deducted from rwnt if not repaid. Check under Texas property code sec. 92.0561. I dont know if a fence applies but its worth a shot. I had to use it on an appartment complex.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I may be in the minority here... but at my rent house, I just fix little things like this.

The reason being, my rent has stayed the same (per verbal agreement) for 6 years now.

I take care of all the small stuff around my place and only call my landlord when something major goes wrong. So far it’s only been the HVAC needed to be replaced. It was
                      a 25 year old system.

Comment

Some landlords are not able to repair their properties and have to rely on contractors. If there was a storm, there very likely was a surge in business for the contractors. That means it could be several weeks. Spend a few minutes and do a temporary fix to keep your dogs in. Then keep calling the landlord until you get an answer. Remember the old adage that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Comment

If the owner wanted the fence fixed in a hurry, it would be fixed already.

It likely isn't a priority for them.

This is a simple economic equation.

Is whatever it is going to cost you to fix the gate for your dogs, greater than or less than the amount of headache and financial impact of moving?

Comment

She's probably thinking if she waits long enough, you'll fix it like you did the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by berettadave View Post
                              She's probably thinking if she waits long enough, you'll fix it like you did the fence.
                              This, based on the reaction you got for fixing their fence last time...

Be nice, but don’t let it go.

Comment

You found out the hard way last time you repaired the gate that repairs you make do not come out of the rent. This time you know how it would work out. If I were you I would repair it to where at least my yard was secure. Don't be offended but it's not the owners problem that you have an aggressive dog. I too have an aggressive dog and the burden of keeping him secure is on me.

Comment

Working...
                                X