Informal Survey: Kayak Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
    Granger? I see some spots there got to try. Nice catch!
    gotta ask. why 2 paddles?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      I came really close to buying one then the reality hit me that I don’t have a convenient place to use it and it would just gather dust until I sold it at a loss. Maybe I’m gaining wisdom in my twilight years
      ...…...I have convenient places but doubt I would enjoy it...….thus more dust gathering stuff!
      Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
      I won one in a free raffle back in 2005. I immediately sold it for $250. Best. Kayak. Ever.
      ...…….sounds like my kinda reaction to a free kayak!

Comment

One thing I recommend for someone interested in kayak fishing is to keep it simple, especially at first. When I first started there weren't a lot of options on the fishing kayak market, and I started with basic recreational kayak. I have now had a few nice fishing kayaks and still like to keep it simple.

These days there are lots of fancy kayaks on the market with a bunch of unnecessary accessories. In my opinion, a lot of these kayaks are super heavy, hard to paddle, and most of the accessories just get in the way and catch wind. I've noticed that a lot of these kayaks spend their time collecting dust and get sold "like new" a few years later.

I like kayak fishing because I can quickly load up my truck and access the places that boats, and wade/bank fisherman can't. This is just my advice for someone interested in the sport.

Comment

I bought a kayak specifically to run out shark baits in the surf. I also used it for fishing in the Llano River. It is currently collecting dust. Last one to use it was my daughter.

Comment

agree with above. Keep it Simple. Specific needs maybe complicate a bit. I have anchor trolleys on both my yaks. Would be fine picking a spot and just dropping it. Nice option but a small example of not Needed in most situations. Stay light. Float. Eat fish.
            Last edited by toomuchsun; 05-19-2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

and use a throw able device to superb help the buttocks. Cheap simple welcome improv

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                I fall into even a different category, I want one so bad ( native watercraft titan 13.5) but I also know it will be in the collecting dust group after a short period. I fish a lot ( flies for carp) but I have my dog with me all the time, and she is not very patient. No way she would ride, she didn’t want to ride on my bass boat. ( reason I sold it)

I looked at those the last two nights. Being able to slide that seat back a good ways is very appealing. Along with 4 rod horizontal storage, two shallow water anchor capable.

My biggest concern is seat comfort being I've got some back issues, and can't sit in one position for very long. Or stand in one place for very long. I've got a feeling that a seat on a craft is gonna make or break me. That is one of the things I like about having a boat. I can move around a bit.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DaveRedfish.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	24617797

Bought a Kayak and used it quite a bit during the summers. This has been a weird year and I haven't broken it back out yet, but I need to.

Comment

Originally posted by SAM STEPHENS View Post
                    Yep , go dump that surface drive into all the little 5-30 acre lakes and have you some fun , and off the side of bridges. Or on the rivers and creeks and bay systems and the beaches. I can tell you for sure I can get into a places and be fishing hours and hours before a boat with a motor on it will ever reach. Or you just ain’t going to try and launch a boat in the places I fish.

Wasn’t saying you can’t I just don’t believe you will , and if you say you will then let’s go down to the Salado creek and do some fishing or several other small rivers and creeks. I’m not going to help you launch but I do want to watch....

Many or most motor boats will fish way more areas that I can get to in a kayak and I will fish in my big boats if I need to get there. Sure your mud boat is very capable and so is my big flat bottom but I’m not going to dump it off into most stuff I fish in a kayak. Or as many have said kayaks are quick to launch and load and don’t cost near as much to own in most cases....
                    Lol u mad

Comment

I have bought, used a bit, then sold, 2 fishing kayaks. I found that by the time I got my kayak rigged and launched that I could have been long gone in a boat. With my limited spare time I would rather fish than paddle.

Comment

I hit it hard the first two years after buying.
                        Then a little less every year after that.
                        Not sure they even got wet last year.

Own two, both ride the garage wall for the most part.

I keep thinking..... maybe next week, but always too busy doing other stuff.

Comment

Anybody near San Antonio looking to get rid of one kinda cheap...let me know. I have a couple trips coming up I would like to try one for a while, see how I like it.

Comment

No sir never mad , just saying...

Kinda like the guy that told me his dritbike could go anywhere my horse could and more. So I crossed the river right next to us it was probably only 6-8 foot deep and to my great surprise the guy just never cross over. Guess he didn’t want to show me up on that do everything dirt bike....

Comment

That kayak is a pedal drive , always have my regular paddle with me but keep a small single paddle for small maneuvers.....

Comment

Granger ?? Where is that lake located , think it only has catfish .....

Comment

Working...
                                X