No announcement yet.

Discount tire confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like your issue is with the manufacturer, not discount tire.

Comment

What is a 5/8 ton truck? Never heard of it before.

Comment

Like any other retail chain, I'm sure there are good and bad locations.

With that said, I have had nothing but good experiences dealing with Discount Tire over the years. Last time I was there, they patched one of my tires as I had run over a screw. I had only owned the vehicle for a few months and was running the stock tires. Discount didn't charge me anything for the fix as I was in there system. Sure, fixing a flat is not a lot of money, but it still was a nice gesture considering they didn't sell me that tire.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          What is a 5/8 ton truck? Never heard of it before.
          A heavy 1/2 or 1500HD sportsman ( not a 1/2 - not a 3/4 ton)
          I guess not very popular? Had 2 of them before going to 1ton mid 2000’s
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-15-2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
            A heavy 1/2 or 1500HD sportsman ( not a 1/2 - not a 3/4 ton)
            I guess not very popular? Had 2 of them before going to 1ton mid 2000’s
            Okay, they got extra lugnut and heavier springs. My BIL had one back in early 80's. GMC Heavy Half.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
              You cannot use a generic site to get actual tire height or width. You need to go to that specific manufacturer and look up the specs. You can see almost an inch difference in the same specified size from different OEM's.

Nobody said which tires they are talking about. Also, the whole point of tire size standards is so you can know the dimensions before you mount them up. Sure there will be minor variation but without mfr information the standard size is all there is to go off of. What did I miss?

Comment

When it comes to tires I quit buying 2nds and 3rds years ago.. DT is a joke.

Comment

Last Friday I made time to get new tires for my pick up, the tires have 46k miles on them, they are 265-70-18 Michelin LTX. I stopped by the DT off Goliad in San Antonio. The boy told me they do not carry the Michelin LTX truck tires as they are a premium tire and would have to be ordered. He said I could go online and order them, they would be delivered to the store within 5 days. Then he tried to sell me Yokohama tires as they are "just as good as Michelin", I told him no thanks. Then he mentioned several other brands they had in stock that I have never even heard of. The price they had on the Michelin was 259.00 plus some other fees and tax come out to 1339.00 for all four.

I called my tire store that I use most of the time and they had the Michelin in stock because they told me it is a very common tire. Their price was 279.00 per tire and with fees and tax it was 1258.18 . But they did want 25.00 per tire for road hazard insurance, but I never bought it. They also filled the tires with nitrogen for free and free rotation and balance.

I really do not know if I would go back to DT, my understanding from them is if you want a premium tire you would have to order or call around to different stores to find them.

Btw, the tires on my truck were 4 years old and were original equipment, they probably had another 10k miles left but I got to drive to Booneville Kentucky and I did not want to chance it.
                  Last edited by Radar; 05-19-2020, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Ok finale problem
                    The 4 bfg a/t 275/65/20 make it to DT all is well till it’s done mount , balanced, ect , they come to get me to back the truck out of the tire bay and the low tire warning ⚠️ light is on
                    We look and all four are @ 30psi ( remember it’s a 2014 1500HD sportsman 5/8 ton ) And requires D-E rated tires requiring 45-50 in front and 50-65 in rear
                    Well the tech opens the door looks @ the sticker and says “ it’s @max we cannot put any more psi
                    Me “ don’t pay attention to that sticker and look @ the sidewalls on tires max psi =85psi “ her “” uhm I need to go find the manager “ me “
                    Manager comes I repeat the process
                    Manager “ sticker says 35psi is max” me “” “ fill my
                    ****ing tires to 50psi So my light goes off “
                    M “ those are E rated you should be ok with 50 -85 psi“

Tired of the 35psi Max BS
                    I call the dealership they run my vin# and inform me someone has put the wrong Sticker on and it needs to be replaced $35.09 + tax
                    I hope that stupid sticker isn’t like a tag on a pillow “warning do not remove tag by law”

P.S
                    Truck rode like a dream ( smooth) and wonderful feeling riding with perfectly balanced and aired up tires
                    Till next 50,000 keeping the fingers crossed
                    Lol, what a pile of stupid. I grasp your frustration.

Comment

Ok finale problem
                      The 4 bfg a/t 275/65/20 make it to DT all is well till it’s done mount , balanced, ect , they come to get me to back the truck out of the tire bay and the low tire warning ⚠️ light is on
                      We look and all four are @ 30psi ( remember it’s a 2014 1500HD sportsman 5/8 ton ) And requires D-E rated tires requiring 45-50 in front and 50-65 in rear
                      Well the tech opens the door looks @ the sticker and says “ it’s @max we cannot put any more psi
                      Me “ don’t pay attention to that sticker and look @ the sidewalls on tires max psi =85psi “ her “” uhm I need to go find the manager “ me “
                      Manager comes I repeat the process
                      Manager “ sticker says 35psi is max” me “” “ fill my
                      ****ing tires to 50psi So my light goes off “
                      M “ those are E rated you should be ok with 50 -85 psi“

Tired of the 35psi Max BS
                      I call the dealership they run my vin# and inform me someone has put the wrong Sticker on and it needs to be replaced $35.09 + tax
                      I hope that stupid sticker isn’t like a tag on a pillow “warning do not remove tag by law”

P.S
                      Truck rode like a dream ( smooth) and wonderful feeling riding with perfectly balanced and aired up tires
                      Till next 50,000 keeping the fingers crossed
                      Good luck with those tires!

Comment

The one thing I know for sure about DT is you better check you lugnuts. They left mine loose last time.

Comment

The one thing I know for sure about DT is you better check you lugnuts. They left mine loose last time.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                            Did they miss the loose nut behind the steering wheel?

X2

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                              You can say that again. Oh wait.

Comment

People kept doing stupid things like stretching tires onto wide rims, putting cheap tires on sports cars and going too fast, grossly over/under inflating for the vehicle, etc and discount got tired of the hassle of dealing with them when the tires failed. Now they go by the sticker and only the sticker. That's what the local manager told me. I wanted to put E rated, load range 124 tires on my 2500. Sticker said 125, so no go. Same exact truck in base form had little load range 119 tires. They would put the exact same 124 tires on it but not mine, gotta go by the sticker. Anything to cover their butts.
                                Last edited by jdg13; 05-19-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X