Un-Seizing a Ford 302 5.0L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    I hydro locked a 5.4 on about that much. Wound up bending a rod.
    Would be hard to do without the spark plugs in the holes.

Comment

You’d have better luck rebuilding. That’s a sweet rig! I’d put a layer of clear coat on it and drive!

Comment

You can still keep it all original by just rebuilding that motor. Keep the same motor just make it more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
          Would be hard to do without the spark plugs in the holes.
          Yes sir. I forgot the part about only doing one cylinder and forgetting to turn it over before I screwed in the compression gage that got totaled.

Comment

Go get a used 302 block get it running and have the original rebuilt . You can find 302 blocks for nothing . My buddy has 4 sitting in storage PM me if Intersted .

Comment

Only reason you can move it an 1/8 round is because that’s the slack in the timing chain

Comment

Just keep letting it soak for a bit. Let the MM oil do its work
                See if you can get it loose before you proceed with all of the other suggestions

It may take more than a week if it has been sitting that long. You might also need to add more MM oil to the cylinders

Comment

Awesome project, have no insight. But, clear coat that truck love the look of it.

Comment

If it is the cylinders, I would think you are going to have frozen piston rings if you get it free. You can take the rocker arms loose and see if it moves. I am with the group to just pull the heads and you can see what you are dealing with. That is just me though.

Comment

My $0.02: Yank the engine and replace with a good used or a crate 302. Rebuild if you're really concerned with keeping the original. Service the transmission and brakes, make sure the suspension and steering is tight, slap some new tires on it and enjoy. Heck of a nice truck to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by SCORPION KING View Post
                        Only reason you can move it an 1/8 round is because that’s the slack in the timing chain

Which you are indicating the cam is stuck due to valves? There wouldn't be that much slack in the pistons?

Comment

There is no good gonna come from anything but pulling that motor and taking the top off of it to see what you've got.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                            Which you are indicating the cam is stuck due to valves? There wouldn't be that much slack in the pistons?

No the pistons are more than likely stuck and the movement is just the slack in the chain

Comment

I would buy that missing bed trim, rebuild motor, go through brakes, and drive how it is. Beautiful truck

Comment

pull the valve covers see what it looks like in there you can take a crow bar or rubber mallet and gently! tap or pry on each rocker arm and see if the valve moves that will tell if you have a stuck valve
                                you might want to pull the starter it might be locked up or jammed into the ring gear and not letting it turn just something to check
                                good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X