Un-Seizing a Ford 302 5.0L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    If you give up on the truck and it happens to be a short bed truck. I might be interested in it. I bought a 69 short bed for my daughter, the bed has a bit more rust than we were expecting.
    Can’t imagine selling the truck and the passenger side has some old man body work so wouldn’t make much of a donor.

Comment

That is a bad mofo .

Comment

Un-Seizing a Ford 302 5.0L

Pull the heads!

You’ll end up doing it anyway, and it may save something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel and ATF for soaking the pistons with great results.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Pull the heads!

You’ll end up doing it anyway, and it may save something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            This ^^^^^. You're going to tear stuff up trying with the heads on.

Comment

Get the guy from vice grip garage on YouTube to come fix it, dude is awesome to watch

Comment

Man that is pretty

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                  Get the guy from vice grip garage on YouTube to come fix it, dude is awesome to watch
                  YouTube is part of my problem. Most of the videos they throw a battery in a truck that has been sitting in a field for 20 years and they drove off on the 20 year old gas sitting in it...

On the FTE forum they say since it it has moved at all it isnt a valve problem. It seems plausible that a cam is stuck between two valves so it can roll till it hits the stuck one but then it gets caught on a second going the other way. Would pulling the valve covers and checking the rockers for movement not give me a good idea of the health of the valve system? Jumping to pulling the heads to me is the last shot before it goes to the machine shop.

The more I read on soaking Pistons it’s more a it’s stuck and then it’s free. Not this it’s hung on an 1/8 of a rotation and I kept working it and it came loose.

Comment

If you put too much of anything in the cylinders, you might have it hydro locked.

Comment

Beautiful patina on that truck, good luck to you sir!

Comment

Slap a Chevy bowtie on, it'll start right up!
                        Nice looking project truck. Learn patience and do it right. You'll appreciate it more that way. Good luck and keep us updated on the progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                          If you put too much of anything in the cylinders, you might have it hydro locked.
                          3oz of Marvel per cylinder. That would be enough to hydro lock?

Comment

Pull the motor and rebuild it. Find you some old 289 four barrel heads with the small combustion chambers and have them ported and a 5 angle valve job. Put on an Edelbrock high rise and 600 cfm 4 barrel carb. Replace the cam with a Ford muscle parts C90Z6250C cam and high end lifters. New flat top Mahle pistons and the little anemic 302 will be pumped to about 350 Hp depending on exhaust. Add the edelbrock pro flo fuel injection system and it may see close to 400 hp. at flywheel. Go big or go home

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
                              3oz of Marvel per cylinder. That would be enough to hydro lock?
                              I hydro locked a 5.4 on about that much. Wound up bending a rod.

Comment

going to have to be pulled anyway. That's the route I would take. Do it when it's not restored.

Awesome truck

Comment

Working...
                                X