No announcement yet.

Questions about Section 8 Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of people here don't know what section 8 really is. It's a housing voucher, that's all. Landlords can open their properties up to section 8 tenants after they go through the signup process and get a housing inspection. Once you go through that your property is listed on the HUD website and people can apply to lease your property just like any other rental. The amount of their housing voucher is dependent on income and family size and if the amount doesn't cover the rental the renter has to come up with the difference. Section 8 doesn't always mean you're in the projects, it can certainly be a decent single family home.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
      No offense. Section 8 can attract folks from all walks of life. Most are decent folks trying to make it. It’s the ones that aren’t so decent that concern me. I would not want my 70 year old father let alone my mom living there, even if both were gonna live there. If she can’t live with y’all try to find her an affordable assisted living arrangement depending on her physical condition
      A town house complex is going up down the road from my house
      Part of the loan used to build it makes it subject to section 8 / limited income/ social security(Fixed income), they are a 80%/ 20% . with 20% being limited income /fixed
      So section 8 isn’t Exactly the projects ( at least in my neighborhood) So some research In your area is worthwhile

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
        What TVC said. I have helped some people in the area that for one reason or another we’re getting Govt assistance and in need of housing. Was able to find them a new home, and believe it, some of the landlords have no problem renting to them because it’s a guaranteed Govt check paying the mortgage. They weren’t bad people, just having money problems. Most were single women that couldn’t keep their knees together and popping out kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I grew up in Swartz...
        West Monroe is getting pretty bad, too. My wife is from Bastrop, La., and it's worse than Monroe.

Yes sir, my mom has an appartment lined up, but I was just looking at options to help her save some money. She's on a very fixed income. I can help her some, but I don't want to see her struggle. As far as S8 housing being bad areas, I would Never put her in harms way, and like some have said, I see nice/ potential options out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbuddyandroby View Post
          I grew up in Swartz...
          West Monroe is getting pretty bad, too. My wife is from Bastrop, La., and it's worse than Monroe.

Yes sir, my mom has an appartment lined up, but I was just looking at options to help her save some money. She's on a very fixed income. I can help her some, but I don't want to see her struggle. As far as S8 housing being bad areas, I would Never put her in harms way, and like some have said, I see nice/ potential options out there.

Sounds like you are considering options. [emoji106][emoji106]. Good luck to your Mom. Sounds like a lady I’d like to be neighbors with. [emoji4]

Comment

I grew up in Swartz...

Had relatives in Bastrop back in the day, Mathews was their last name. Yes, WM is really getting bad. But Monroe, is really bad...The mayor is one crazy dude....

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
              Had relatives in Bastrop back in the day, Mathews was their last name. Yes, WM is really getting bad. But Monroe, is really bad...The mayor is one crazy dude....

Were they related to any Chunns? I knew a Gene Mathews from Bastrop that was somehow related.

Comment

Were they related to any Chunns? I knew a Gene Mathews from Bastrop that was somehow related.

Just sent you a PM. Dang, we might be related somehow.

Comment

PM sent back- small world...

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    I don’t think I’d let my mom be around the type of folks that usually live in areas like that. Maybe I’m wrong about the quality of folks there but from what I’ve seen it’s a bunch of trash. Wouldn’t sleep at night knowing the lady that raised me was around that

I worked in a town full of section 8. The only good people in there were victims every other week. I have worked home burglary of habitation, bmv and home invasions. That apartment cost is worth the peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                      I worked in a town full of section 8. The only good people in there were victims every other week. I have worked home burglary of habitation, bmv and home invasions. That apartment cost is worth the peace of mind.
                      True, very true...

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                        I used to run security for a city housing authority. It has been maybe 8 years and I realize that things change.

If you can get approval and if you can find a decent neighborhood, it is probably worth it. Nothing has to be accepted if you can’t find what you a are looking for.
                        I'm curious how one gets approved. Is it like food stamps where one has to lie?

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                        A town house complex is going up down the road from my house
                        Part of the loan used to build it makes it subject to section 8 / limited income/ social security(Fixed income), they are a 80%/ 20% . with 20% being limited income /fixed
                        So section 8 isn’t Exactly the projects ( at least in my neighborhood) So some research In your area is worthwhile
                        Most places start becoming "the projects" pretty quick after going section 8. Maybe isolated homes won't but when cities push s8 they do.

Comment

My wife put her mother in a seniors only subsidized apartment where the residents paid only what they could afford. Had something to do with VOA.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            I'm curious how one gets approved. Is it like food stamps where one has to lie?

Most places start becoming "the projects" pretty quick after going section 8. Maybe isolated homes won't but when cities push s8 they do.
                            Yes , in San Antonio the HUD says it needs to have lower income people closer to employment “ spread the wealth “ it’s basically the opposite “ it’s spread the poverty “
                            Seen lots of nice areas shuffled in to higher levels of crimes

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                              My wife put her mother in a seniors only subsidized apartment where the residents paid only what they could afford. Had something to do with VOA.
                              Maybe this is more what I need to research. Thanks

Comment

I'm sorry but living previously in a neighborhood that allowed for some section 8 housing ...and watching the neighborhood go to crap has forever instilled a bad taste in my mind. The people that came into those houses matched and performed just like every stereotype I have ever been told. It was some goverment project to inject low income citizens into normal income areas in a FAILED attempt to make them acclimate better in society. While it happened during the previous administration....the actual plan may have been created under bush. I'm not sure
                                Sorry...I understand this was offtopic. Good luck on your venture. Stepping off my soapbox.

Comment

Working...
                                X