The Fat G Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
    He looks great there. Thanks for letting us do the work for you.

Hope to have you an Axis sometime this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What a wild year it has been. I’ve kinda neglected this thread unfortunately. A few of the guys made a trip in May. I was in the middle of selling our house so I didn’t go, but they demoed out our old bathroom on that trip. It was a poorly designed 6’x8’ bathroom smack in the middle of a 20’x16’ cabin. They tore it out on that trip, got Joe’s Taj Mahal blind he’s been building for over a year put up, and filled feeders.

Life came at me fast after that. We sold our home, moved 3 hours away, my dad ended up hospitalized and then got a miraculously quick heart transplant. It’s been a year and it’s barely half over. I finally made a trip this past weekend. Just me and Joe.

Plan for this trip was to fill feeders, fill water stations, install the new shower and toilet, install a new RV pump, reroute per plumbing to the new shower and toilet locations, and completely redo the sewer.

We both arrived early Friday afternoon. Joe got to work inside on some framing and the shower while I went under the house to knock out the plumbing. Well, right before I got started I discovered a banded rock rattler about a foot from my hand. After I got a gun, I couldn’t find him. I let my heart rate settle down, shotgunned two beers, raked out underneath the cabin and got to work.

We got a good chunk done, but i discovered i was a couple of fittings short. We decided to hunt that evening. We both saw a ton of whitetail and I killed a corn thieving coon. We went to fill a couple of feeders while it was cooler at night and discovered a badly frayed cable on one of our winch feeders. We get back to camp and I went to grab a fuel can for the genny. Pick it up and underneath is another dang nope rope! I got this one though!

We finally got to bed and I rolled out at 6AM for a trip to Del Rio. I grabbed the fittings needed along with some new aircraft cable and was back at camp by 9:30.

Of course after the trip to Del Rio, we discovered the old mixing valve for the shower was all male ends and the new one is all female and I was 2 fittings short to make it work. Got the rest of the plumbing done, the new 12 volt pump installed, and we set out to do the rest of our work for the weekend.

Lo and Behold both batteries on the Ford were toast so filling water stations was out. So we set out to fill feeders.

We replace the cable at Matt’s feeder and move on to the airstream. Topped it off and then saw our blind blown over. The anchor in the cedar tree had given way. We moved across the canyon. That feeder's battery was toast and all the corn was moldy. Had to dump it and then discovered that blind blown over as well. The turnbuckle had actually straightened out on that one.

It was hot. Real hot and we were on a pretty unlucky streak. We go to fill Keegan's feeder and discover it full and moldy. One of the 3 geniuses in May had mixed a bag of protein with it and it clogged and molded quickly. We dumped it and got it back and running and filled up the Hideout as well. Joe decided to go hunt for the evening and fill the two feeders at the 110 as well, so he loaded up and left. I elected to get the two stands anchored as best as I could with what we had to work with. Got that done and slid into a blind an hour or so to watch a bunch of whitetails looking so happy they've got food again.

We rolled out pretty early Sunday to get back home. All in all a pretty productive trip. Just need a few fittings to have the shower fully functional. The smaller bathroom and relocating it to a corner opened up the cabin tremendously. I epoxied the slow leak in our old RV pump to save for a rainy day and connected another water trough by camp to our big storage tank. Need to anchor the stands that fell over better, but they should hold for now. Going to try to get back in a month and button up those little things and the place should be rocking and rolling.

Also, if anyone knows how to imbed photos on the new update, I'd love to know. I used to exclusively use tapatalk and it was easy, but I can't figure out how to do it on the website. Got the pics for your viewing pleasure, but not woven into the update like it like it.

Comment

Glad this thread made the trip to the new site! Still prayin' for Roger! What an awesome story! I actually just now made the connection with this thread that you are the one who started the "Roger" thread!! Anyway, hope y'all have a great year and all your equipment holds together!!
        Oh and YES IT'S HOT!! I was at our place down South last week for a while... Truck thermometer registered 113 at 2:00 PM in the afternoon!! Didn't get below 100 until after 9:30 at night!!

Comment

Great to see an update as I enjoy following your adventures. I hope your dad is on track with his recovery.

Comment

Working...
          X