The Fat G Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMart76 View Post
    Great thread read it in a few hours. Don’t go telling everyone how great it is out there they’ll start moving in. I hunt sound of you by the 277/377 split, bought our place last year. Definitely amazing experience and surprised at what we have to hunt and the views.

LOL. I understand that sentiment. That country isn’t for everyone though. For most it’s a long drive and depending on the amenities of the property it can be very tough. It would be a cake walk for us if we had permanent electricity, a walk in cooler, and great roads. We’re fortunate we have a good water well, but that’s about it. You see what we started with there.

Congrats on your place though! You’re basically the halfway spot between us and Del Rio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Made another trip this weekend. Keegan and I rolled out Friday to the ranch.

We made it in time for an evening hunt. No animals were harmed, but a boar hog got a good scare, lol. We got to camp after the hunt, got everything running, ate dinner, and played a few games of dominoes before heading off to bed.

Keegan doesn’t do morning hunts, so I headed out across the canyon to hunt. Didn’t hear corn throw, so after 30 minutes of nada I got out to check the feeder. Pics later about this. Made a stop on the way back where I left the ranger last trip and set about gathering and removing damaged parts.

The snap ring was busted up and the bearing carrier had it wedged in there. It was a chore to get those pieces out, but we managed. Getting that old bearing out without a press was a chore too.

Installed a new axel, bearing, rotor, and hub. The brake caliper I ordered came with the wrong bracket, so it’ll have to wait. Otherwise, we were up and running.

We spent most of the rest of the day putting out alfalfa, topping off feeders with corn, and adjusting feed times for the shorter days ahead.

Put the battery in the first feeder at the 110 and the hideout like I intended last trip before the ranger broke.

This is the mess I discovered across the canyon. Dang coons ate the funnel and dumped all the corn. That funnel has been there 10-12 years on that feeder. It now has a metal one and there will be war on coons coming. Already ordered a dozen dukes.

Topped off the water stations as well. We had a few hours to kill before the evening hunt, so we tested out the repaired redneck pool I did back in June. Worked like a champ and felt great!

We call it our redneck infinity pool now that she’ll actually hold water.

Evening hunt was uneventful. Our buddy Pat was supposed to come too, but had to back out. We had a FaceTime booze cruise with him that night.

I had a great hunt this morning. 15-20 animals between WT and Axis. Buttoned up camp and loaded the ranger on the trailer to get some maintenance done at home. Rolled out about 10AM and eased on home.

It will be war on coons, but other than that, we are ready for this upcoming deer season. I think Keegan is planning on bringing some boys down in September. They’re going to do a deep clean of the cabin, trim up some roads, and start trapping coons. I’m headed to Meyersville next weekend to make sure my bow sets are right for October. Until next time. Thanks for following along!

Comment

Well at least it appears that other than the feeder funnel you did not have any major issues this trip!! That is a win all by itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
          Well at least it appears that other than the feeder funnel you did not have any major issues this trip!! That is a win all by itself!!

Amen to that!

Comment

Great thread buddy. All the trials and tribulations are definitely part of it. We are in Comstock and the terrain definitely keeps you handy in the mechanic and maintenance aspect of things.

Good luck to you guys this season!

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
              Great thread buddy. All the trials and tribulations are definitely part of it. We are in Comstock and the terrain definitely keeps you handy in the mechanic and maintenance aspect of things.

Good luck to you guys this season!

Thanks!

Goodluck to y’all too!

Comment

Great place and thread. Isn't it amazing how much work we do at our places and don't think much about it until it's over? I have such a supply of things that I might or may never need there. Probably more than a lifetime of use. My son gripes at me for keeping all the extra stuff but one trip it saved us a 3 hour round trip to Kerrville to get things going again. We have a great place in Leakey for repair items but you know how things are closed when you need them. Have fun and keep the thread and stories going.

Comment

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
                  Great place and thread. Isn't it amazing how much work we do at our places and don't think much about it until it's over? I have such a supply of things that I might or may never need there. Probably more than a lifetime of use. My son gripes at me for keeping all the extra stuff but one trip it saved us a 3 hour round trip to Kerrville to get things going again. We have a great place in Leakey for repair items but you know how things are closed when you need them. Have fun and keep the thread and stories going.

Yeah we are 3 hour round trip to Sonora or Del Rio and stuff always breaks after hours. Forget about Sunday’s too. Almost everything is closed. All good though. Try to prepare for everything and keep common things on hand. Make it work with what you got and bring what you need to repair it right the next trip. I honestly don’t mind the work. I have no desire to just sit at camp. Until football season anyway, lol. I love catching an afternoon college game and playing a bunch of dominoes in between hunts.

Comment

No clue how I'm just seeing this, but man it makes me happy to see them kids out there working and playing dominos!

Comment

Just seeing this thread as well! Keep coming with the updates!!! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great thread. Do yourself a favor and go to Harbor Freight and get one of their hydraulic presses. They work great on Ranger wheel bearings and U joints and beats the heck out of hammering them in. I think they are about $150. Also look into ordering your ranger parts off of E Bay. They come from China, but so does the Polaris parts, and most of them are the same part# as Polaris for 1/2 the price. I had a place in Brownwood that was rocky and that terrain is hard on front ends and 1/2 shafts. I enjoy your thread.

Comment

I need better buddies . Awesome place and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                            Great thread. Do yourself a favor and go to Harbor Freight and get one of their hydraulic presses. They work great on Ranger wheel bearings and U joints and beats the heck out of hammering them in. I think they are about $150. Also look into ordering your ranger parts off of E Bay. They come from China, but so does the Polaris parts, and most of them are the same part# as Polaris for 1/2 the price. I had a place in Brownwood that was rocky and that terrain is hard on front ends and 1/2 shafts. I enjoy your thread.

Yeah, that would have been nice, lol. Hammering them out and in wasn’t terrible, but it certainly wasn’t as easy as a press.

I ordered all these parts from Amazon (AKA China). It was literally half the price of partzilla.

Comment

Awesome thread!

Comment

Got a surprise on my cell cam today. Haven’t seen one on the ranch since 2014.

Comment

Working...
                                X