Timber Rattlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GraceNmercy View Post
    Well maybe they're doing better but still most people don't see them...especially not as common as a western diamond back. I still wouldn't kill one unless I'm put in a situation where it's him or me, and I'm actually at risk of getting bitten...

I agree. Pretty much any snake gets a pass from me because I hate rodents. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.[emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]. But the original question wasn’t “should” they be taken off the protected list. The question was “have” they been taken off the protected list. They HAVE. I accidentally killed a 54” with a bush hog last week in Tyler county and I wish he’d have survived. However, I have mixed feelings now that I have toddler grandkids walking around my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been here for 7 years and had 3 to visit . . Always under the oak tree by my front porch in October waiting for a squirrel . . Wicked looking . .

Comment

saw one on the rocks by my truck while hunting Hagerman this past year. very beautiful snake. snapped a few pictures of it and shoed it on its way

Comment

I've handled a Timber Rattlesnake before and seen people handle them. You'd literally have to try and get bit for the most part. I've seen them get picked up and never so much as buzz. They don't get too worried about being around people most of the time.

Comment

I've have been running around in the Texas woods, hills, and swamps since I could walk and I am yet to see a Timber rattler in my 54 years, but more Western Diamondback rattlers than I could count..

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              No sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I stand corrected.
              Seeing how habitat destruction is the reason they were on the threatened list and they are losing more habitat every day this doesn’t make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by redleif View Post
                Beautiful snakes. How large do they get?
                The longest on record was 74 1/2" long. Most of them that I've seen weren't much more than 3 1/2 to 4 feet long.

Comment

Found one in Eastland county many years ago, it swallowed a dove that my grandpa shot while we were looking for it.

Haven’t seen one since, now, it is showing on a territory map.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

You boys need to do a little more squirrel hunting in the East Texas oak and creek bottoms. You will find all you want.

Comment

If anyone runs across one, I'd like to get the skin from one to back a recurve I'm building.

Comment

Ive seen lots of them..in my lifetime.... They are all around the Trinity river..and as far west as I45 here in Freestone county....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hornfan View Post
                          We’ve seen 2 in the last 3 years at our Wise county farm. Have seen 5 diamond backs in the last 5. Had no idea there were timber rattlers that far west until we saw the first one.
                          Yikes! Surely they would never cross over into Montague County from Wise County!

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            I've have been running around in the Texas woods, hills, and swamps since I could walk and I am yet to see a Timber rattler in my 54 years, but more Western Diamondback rattlers than I could count..

My dad and I have hunted the exact same woods the past 50 plus years. He has never seen one in the woods. I have seen at least 100.

Comment

Never seen one in person, and wouldnt kill one if i did.

Comment

Dang! I didn’t know they were no longer protected. I had one in my bars just a couple days ago that I had to remove. Caught one that was over 5’ Long last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X