Seasoning cast iron cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
    I always scrub mine right after I use it in hot soapy water, then set on the stove turn on the burner and let it get hot turn off the burner then squirt some peanut oil in it and wipe it out with a paper towel making sure it gets a good coat of oil. Works for me.

"hot soapy water"? You will never have a proper seasoning on it if you wash it with soap. There is no need anyways. The heat will kill any germs and rinsing a hot skillet with hot water will essentially steam bath it.

Comment

I’ve always done a quick scrub with a little dawn and rinsed. Reheat on stove and oil if needed. Never had an issue

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
        This is great information. As far as washing cast iron with dish soap go ahead it won’t hurt it. If soap is removing your seasoning then your cast iron isnt properly seasoned. I wouldn’t soak cast iron in water over night, wash it, dry it and put it up. As far as stripping cast iron in a self cleaning oven that is not my preferred way. It it does work extremely well. I prefer to use electrolysis or lye baths and even oven cleaner, just make sure that it’s neutralized after using lye.

Comment

Originally posted by basskicker24 View Post
          "hot soapy water"? You will never have a proper seasoning on it if you wash it with soap.
          I've got, @ work, 5-6 cast iron skillets that will strongly contradict your statement. I'll post a pic or 2 tomorrow when I'm @ the station. They're all 20+ years old, been cooked on multiple times a week in that time-frame & cleaned w/hot soapy water, followed by drying on gas stove & re-coated w/cheap vegetable oil.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            And speaking of cookware...does anyone have a tried-and-true method for seasoning cast iron cookware? I don’t seem to be able to achieve the non-stick feature that comes with a good seasoning.
            Cook in it, A LOT! As others have said, bacon is a good thing to cook in the first time (and every other time you want bacon, which means almost every morning at our house).

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
            We have cast iron @ the fire station that's very seasoned. We clean them w/soap & water every time we use them. Not sure why y'all are saying don't use soap.
            When new, I coat them in lard & put them in the oven @ 350 for 10-15 minutes. I do this cycle several times, before actually using, then they seem good to go.
            "hot soapy water"? You will never have a proper seasoning on it if you wash it with soap. There is no need anyways. The heat will kill any germs and rinsing a hot skillet with hot water will essentially steam bath it.
            I don't mind washing mine with soap every now and then, but I would only do it when its cooled down. Just remember its going to take in what ever is in it when its hot.

My favorite one has 3 generations worth of cooking/frying on it and its crusty on the outside. My grandmother and my mom (I think) stored them in a brown paper bag, but I haven't for the last 20 years and it seems ok.

Comment

I cooked dinner tonight, in a Wagner skillet. I wish I knew how old it is.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                I can’t give a exact year but I can give you a time frame if you post a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                  You can look it up on the internet.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lfd2037 View Post
                    i've got, @ work, 5-6 cast iron skillets that will strongly contradict your statement. I'll post a pic or 2 tomorrow when i'm @ the station. They're all 20+ years old, been cooked on multiple times a week in that time-frame & cleaned w/hot soapy water, followed by drying on gas stove & re-coated w/cheap vegetable oil.
                    [ATTACH]1000191[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]1000192[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]1000193[/ATTACH]

Comment

I was just given some old rusted up pans and a small Dutch oven. I've never "restored" one. I have a huge Lodge skillet I use all the time. And a huge dutch oven that I use for all the stews, gumbeaux, and rice dishes. I've heavily used the lodge for about 6 years now and it's no where near smooth. I hate that rough finish on them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                        I was just given some old rusted up pans and a small Dutch oven. I've never "restored" one. I have a huge Lodge skillet I use all the time. And a huge dutch oven that I use for all the stews, gumbeaux, and rice dishes. I've heavily used the lodge for about 6 years now and it's no where near smooth. I hate that rough finish on them.

Does food stick on your lodge?

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
                          Does food stick on your lodge?

I pretty much only use it for meat. Bacon, steak,chicken, etc. Couldn't do sunny side up eggs in it.

Comment

Add me to the 'use soap' crew.

I don't cook on mine as frequently as some of you apparently do. But when I do, I let it cool down, scrape the junk with a plastic scraper, wipe with a paper towel, and lightly scrub with a sponge using warm water and a few drops of dish soap. Dry immediately and lightly coat all over with whatever cooking oil I happen to have at the time. No issues here!

Comment

This is why I cringe when people say they use a grinder to slick cast iron. I’m sure this one had a grinder put on it trying to get years of built up grime off the sides, I bout it at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago and just now getting to stripping and seasoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Burn you evil rancid seasoning.
                                Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X