No announcement yet.

Going Back to School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it fairly promising to land a job right after school? Either way good luck

Comment

I'm not a lineman but I went back to school at 36. I had a few people tell me It was too late and I wouldn't get hired. I had 3 job offers before I got out of school.. good luck it's never to late ..

Comment

Good for you man!

Comment

Good for you on going back to school to help market yourself. Hope it all works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by rtjh View Post
            Not a lineman but I work alongside them on outages, its steady work and plenty of money to be made during storms. I'm typing this from a hotel room in Arkansas, been working outages in Pine Bluff area after the storm on Sunday. This area got hammered.

They sure did get hammered.
            Hope y’all got nose plugs..... now that it’s warming up the stink from the mill really gets ripe[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              Seems a lot of people feel like 34 is old on here lol. I still feel like a young spring chicken [emoji23]

I wa as line man for about 10 years in the communication field. When you start out at 20 by 34 you do feel old.....if your actually climbing poles. Really hard on the knees and feet, and back. I loved the heat and the cold and the weather. Maybe that makes me 😜. I’ve been a fireman for 19 years now and it’s a good job but I really enjoyed the lineman thing more. But the FD allows for lots of time off and good insurance

Comment

My son Josh (ChewJr on TBH) is a lineman for Centerpoint. He's doing well.

Comment

Good luck with the new endeavor JT. I **** near became a firefighter at 34, lol. I got bored and wanted a change. I'm now 20 years in with the company my old man founded.

Comment

Figured i would give you guys a update. 6 weeks down. 9 to go. I am one of the older guys but I’m hanging in there. Went up and over the in-line transmission structure twice and the H frame structure twice today.

Good news is I am making Strait As so far in the classroom. Weird how you study when your 34 and you have a family haha.

Comment

I was with North Houston up until 3rd period apprentice lineman, left and joined the military and then went to school. Was a HFD fireman after that and now work for the Gov.

Both my best buds are lineman, they make an honest good living.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to hear its going well man! Hope you land something quick right out of school. Seems like a cool job

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                          Figured i would give you guys a update. 6 weeks down. 9 to go. I am one of the older guys but I’m hanging in there. Went up and over the in-line transmission structure twice and the H frame structure twice today.

Good news is I am making Strait As so far in the classroom. Weird how you study when your 34 and you have a family haha.

Good stuff, JT.

Comment

Sooo how old is too old??? I am 38 and am ready to say "peace out" to the O&G industry..

Comment

Good for you & you are a spring chicken to me. I’m 46
                              I work as a Process Engineer for a plastics extrusion manufacturer. I’d rather be in the plant hands on than sitting in my office answering emails or nodding off on conference calls
                              Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                                Sooo how old is too old??? I am 38 and am ready to say "peace out" to the O&G industry..

There is a 37 year old in our group. And they have had 45-50 year olds go through in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X