School me on tractors in E Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
    How do you pull a batwing mower and 105hp tractor inside east texas woods?
    Very carefully, lol

You might need a push mower

Comment

Kinda surprised how many folks run big tractors in the woods. The places weve been looking at are pretty heavily wooded. I was wondering about the cab and limbs. Thanks for the advice. Now to decide how much I can afford to buy. Definitely cant buy anything new over about 35hp. Does a grapple run off of the FEL hydraulics or need additional line to open/close the jaw?

Grapple requires additional hydraulic remote.

Comment

Kinda surprised how many folks run big tractors in the woods. The places weve been looking at are pretty heavily wooded. I was wondering about the cab and limbs. Thanks for the advice. Now to decide how much I can afford to buy. Definitely cant buy anything new over about 35hp. Does a grapple run off of the FEL hydraulics or need additional line to open/close the jaw?
        Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Grapple requires additional hydraulic remote.
        Yep, that's the "third-function" remote I mentioned. I bought mine made by WR Long along with the grapple and installed it myself. There's an electric switch on my FEL hand grip that controls the opening and closing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
          Yep, that's the "third-function" remote I mentioned. I bought mine made by WR Long along with the grapple and installed it myself. There's an electric switch on my FEL hand grip that controls the opening and closing.

Grapple can also run off a std remote if your not set on having the thumb button like me.

Comment

You will appreciate a cab when you shred over a big nest of ground hornets. Don't ask how I know

Comment

If going with a open operator station/canopy setup, put some limb risers on. That canopy will catch long limbs and shove them in your face if not careful.

Comment

I’ve owned 3 tractors with green paint and 6 with orange paint, and I’ve liked them all. I currently have 4 with orange paint (and an orange skid steer). I’ve got 2 in the 30hp range, one 60hp, and one 70hp.

My advice to anyone buying a tractor whatever size you think you “need”, get one size bigger, 4 wheel drive is nice but not an absolute necessity, and if you don’t think you need a front end loader, buy one anyway (you’ll thank me later). Cabs are nice but get in the way most of the time. Grapples are possibly the most useful addition to a tractor (over 50hp).

One other thing, contrary to popular belief, you don’t need a diesel pickup to pull a tractor (or even a 13k lb skid steer) down the road.

Comment

This has been a very informative discussion. Good info as I look for a tractor

Comment

Grapple can also run off a std remote if your not set on having the thumb button like me.

True. Previous owner of my tractor ran his grapple that way but it’s handy with the thumb switch.

Comment

My favorite tractors on our place are our Massey Ferguson 245s. Our bigger tractors have the buckets but the Massey will Handel most anything

Comment

A grapple is a very nice attachment to have, especially if your place has trees etc. The quick attach for implements is nice addition also. I bought another orange one in November of last year.

Comment

60 hp will pull 8’ shredder all day and will actually mow a little wider than the tires so you can mow next to stuff.

I did it for years on 45 [emoji4]
                          Yep, but it won’t get between the trees I need to mow between and won’t fit my trailer.

Comment

Non of the tractors on our place are 4wd and they're used from moving hay bales, baling, and other generic work on a cattle ranch. Only one has a cab because its the one my uncle used and only he used it. No one has driven a 4wd truck either until I got my Ram 2500. If I was you I'd buy me a Kubota LS 3901 or maybe a little bit bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpy View Post
                              Non of the tractors on our place are 4wd and they're used from moving hay bales, baling, and other generic work on a cattle ranch. Only one has a cab because its the one my uncle used and only he used it. No one has driven a 4wd truck either until I got my Ram 2500. If I was you I'd buy me a Kubota LS 3901 or maybe a little bit bigger.

This is very true, I grew up on a cotton / cattle farm and 2wd did all we needed.

But FEL work, discing small food plots etc are a different deal and make 4x4 worth every penny!

Comment

Working...
                              X