Medicare question for Geezers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare question for Geezers

I’m currently on my wife’s insurance since having to retire early. My wuestion is this: would you get off your spouses insurance and just go on Medicare with advantage plan and save the money, or stay on and have both private and Medicare. I was told by receptionist that she has seen a lot of folks that have both Private insurance pays first then Medicare picks up what’s left. The order of who pays depends on size of company.
    Thanks in advance for yalls input!
    I guess another scenario might be to decline Medicare to keep you ssi intact. I’m not considering this simply because it may be a hassle getting reinstated.

Medicare with the added Humana policy saves me 12K a year..............

Comment

Medicare with Humana supplement saved me 12 k a year too.

Comment

By getting off private insurance! How much was the Humana supplement?

Comment

Did you want a "supplement" or and "advantage" plan. Big difference.

Comment

Thought they were the same. What does Humana plan cost? Anyone know

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              Thought they were the same. What does Humana plan cost? Anyone know
              $155.00 a month.................

Comment

Johnny is that the total drive out cost? Medicare + the Humana plan?

Comment

I really think that you will not be allowed to stay on your wife's Ins. I've always been told take Medicare when you can and get a suppplement. I've got one more year but had a close friend just got on it and this is what they told him.

God Bless
                  Bish

Comment

Dang Bish, I was personally told the exact opposite by the receptionist at my knee doctors office. Thus the reason for this thread. There is so much scuttlebutt out there that you’re trying to wade through. The geezer factor On the g s will come through with sound advice. Thanks for yalls input.

Comment

I was on my wife's plan because of cost and better coverage than what my employer offered and other reasons. When I retired, I remained on hers and still am. I started taking Social Security at 62 and I opted for Medicare when I turned 65. Medicare became the primary and BCBS became the supplement, as did my wife. The bad part of this is if she passes before me, I'll be responsible for paying the supplemental fee, which will greatly increase. Should that happen, I'll be looking at another supplement or advantage plan.

Comment

I didn’t want to retire at 62 but did due to our sons disability. So I lost two hundred bucks a month. That may not be a lot of money to some but it is to me. Olphart my wife is fourteen years younger than me so barring no accidents or natural death hopefully she should outlive me. I thought there would be a few more folks on here on their spouses insurance. But then again most folks don’t have a fourteen year age difference between them either.

Comment

My wife and I are 10 yrs apart. She still works and is covered by her company Ins. I am on medicare (68) and a supplemental Ins. Medicare cost $144/mos, supplemental cost 122/mos. The way I understand Advantage plans they are mostly free (the hook) which is good, unless you have a major medical situation, then you have to pay their deductible which is several thousand dollars. So medicare + advantage plan would cost roughly $144/mos + high deductible if needed. Medicare with supplement cost me $266/Monthly. Last year I had a major incident and all it cost in addition to my monthly premiums was Medicare deductible of I think $194.

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
                            I really think that you will not be allowed to stay on your wife's Ins. I've always been told take Medicare when you can and get a suppplement. I've got one more year but had a close friend just got on it and this is what they told him.

God Bless
                            Bish
                            I have sold medical insurance for 41 years.

Staying on the employer plan after age 65 depends on what plan the employer has selected. The employer can opt to allow retirees to stay on their group plan or not.

End of the day you need to weigh the cost difference between staying on your wife's plan versus a Medicare plan. Big difference in the Medicare Advantage plans and Supplement plan.

Chances are you will come out ahead going on a Medicare and buying an Advantage or Supplement. You can go online and plug in your information - list your prescriptions, how many visits you normally take to the doctor, etc. and it will calculate for you what the best plan is. Advantage is more restrictive as to network of doctors, etc. and therefore cheaper but more limitations.

My advice is to call an agent in the area you live and get advice/help - good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                              Dang Bish, I was personally told the exact opposite by the receptionist at my knee doctors office. Thus the reason for this thread. There is so much scuttlebutt out there that you’re trying to wade through. The geezer factor On the g s will come through with sound advice. Thanks for yalls input.
                              Find an agent in the area you live and get advice - does not cost a penny more if you use and agent versus doing it yourself -

Comment

Working...
                              X