X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to use the right tool for the job, I'd use my dozer

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      The key to removing a cedar tree is ground moisture.

Too wet or too dry and you need bigger or different equipment.
      This ^^^^ if the ground is right they pop out so easy .

Comment

Youtube has great videos of different ways to down trees with small tractors. here is one

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCC5PZJqEWc"]Pulling down 6" oak tree with Kubota compact tractor - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Rent a mini excavator, fun and easy

Comment

Get you a ratchet rake, can order online from tractor supply and other places. It works great for smaller trees and brush. Your best and cheapest tool if you have a front loader or skidsteer

Comment

Dozer.

Comment

Ditto on getting a rachet rake, it opens up a whole new way to work. It was the best money I have ever spent on implements for my tractor. You will need to add counterweight to the rear of your tractor. I have water in my rear tires and I have a big disc on mine to help get traction. I have a case 485, 54 horsepower 2 wd. I have never used in on cedar but it works good on mesquite. Push up high and once it starts moving get at the bottom and push. Most of the time I can get root ball and all. Links showing what I do with mine

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                  Get you a ratchet rake, can order online from tractor supply and other places. It works great for smaller trees and brush. Your best and cheapest tool if you have a front loader or skidsteer

Are those to “grip” the trees better?

Comment

Originally posted by dbrock63 View Post
                    Youtube has great videos of different ways to down trees with small tractors. here is one

Pulling down 6" oak tree with Kubota compact tractor - YouTube
                    Just as he says in the end of his video.. That's a terrible way LOL Would take forever to get anything done.

And it would be nice to have dirt that deep and soft.

Comment

One thing I will warn with most of these methods is you will end up disrupting your topsoil and turning rocks to the surface while allowing more erosion to take place. That has been my experience in this area unless you have good deep soil.

I would rent a skid steer with mulching attachment

Comment

I’ve done this a couple ways with my skid loader for customers.

Pushing and piling with my rock grapple. It works well on most cedars, but some roots are grown into the rock and the tree pops off at the ground. You would have the same issue with a dozer. Like mentioned above it does disturb the rock and it’s hard to smooth out without popping up more rock.

Mulching the cedars leaves the rocks and soil undisturbed, but will leave mulch on the ground. It will take a year or more for the cedar to rot. You could take it up if you wanted the grass to grow sooner.

Next option is to shear them and pile them up. This option and the first option require burning. This gets tricky in the hill country since it stays dry for most of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          This. You won't get the bigger trunks/roots up with that tractor.

Also if they're smaller then just chain. Don't bother pushing. And if you use multiple chains hook on 3-5 trees at once staggered a little.

It's slow going but once you get a feel for exactly what the tractor can do it goes much faster.

Also easier when the ground is moist.
                          I have a little bit bigger tractor than you, but this is the method I use. I don't think you want the chain to be too much higher than the point of hook up on the tractor, though. It will, in my opinion, take too much of the back end of the tractor off the ground.

I can pull down some pretty good sized trees in 4WD and low gear without any acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            I have a little bit bigger tractor than you, but this is the method I use. I don't think you want the chain to be too much higher than the point of hook up on the tractor, though. It will, in my opinion, take too much of the back end of the tractor off the ground.

I can pull down some pretty good sized trees in 4WD and low gear without any acceleration.

Are you guys using very long chains or just have short cedars?
                            Most of my cedars are eastern red cedar and are easily 25ft tall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a pretty big chain..It's heavy and maybe 25' long. On bigger trees we put two chains together.

But usually if I need two chains I'm not pulling up the root system. I chainsaw a few inches around the base so it snaps.

Comment

If you’re planning on clearing the better part of your 25 acres, hire someone with a bulldozer and be done with it. They can do in one or two days what would take the rest of us weeks to accomplish. We’ve done this twice and feel it’s the best money we’ve spent.

Comment

Working...
                                X