Wheat pennies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Man View Post
    I should have 1 of every single type of penny ever made. I think these steel ones are cool looking, and the ones next to them say "shell cent" I am not sure what those are? These were all inherited.
    the shell ones are probably from shell casing. those are 43 also?
    i have a few of the steel 43's, but that is pretty cool. and i bet worth a little money

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue1 View Post
      the shell ones are probably from shell casing. those are 43 also?
      There is 2 of them...44 and 45. Pretty cool that they are made out of shell casings. I kinda thought maybe they were shelled as in hollow.

Comment

I have probably close to a thousand of them and three 32oz coffee cans full of the silver dimes.
        I didn’t collect them, my grandfather did. He would cash out his register at his full service Gulf station everyday and when he found the wheat pennies and/or silver dimes, he would put em in a can and replace em with change from his pocket. He did this for a lot of years until he retired and sold the property to Blockbuster Video.
        Not sure why they were given to me ( amongst a lot of other stuff) when he passed in 2001 but they were and have been sittin in the top of my closet since then

Comment

Originally posted by timberking View Post
          I saved coins starting in the late 60's. I would collect from my paper route and get paid in change. A week of papers was .35. We would also get rolls of pennies to go through from the bank. Might get 3-5 wheat pennies per roll. Had silver dimes and quarters too. Twister tore up house in 1983 and my collection disappeared
          I did that too in the mid 60s, from my paper route as well. I'd buy rolls of dimes, quarters, and halfs, take out the 90% silver coins and re-roll them and then get some more rolls. Still got them plus much, much more. I wish I had stayed on it but probably got bored and did kid stuff.

SH

Comment

Did the same culling of interesting coins when I worked at Academy as a cashier supervisor and manager. Kept some pocket change around just for that purpose. Also swapped out a 1933 $100 bill one time. It was worth.... $100.

Comment

I save all wheats and I know they arent worth much. I dont know what else to do with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I got interested in coins when I was a kid after reading a "Redbook" and seeing what some coins were worth.

About 1975, when I realized that searching my parents daily change was not enough, I had my Mom get $25 in pennies from the bank. First roll I opened was ALL wheats with an Indian Head or two. So was the next one. And the next one.
                The entire batch was 95% Wheats and IH's.

The next day I begged Mom to go back and get any other coins that same customer brought in. The teller gave her about $10 worth that was left from the batch of pennies, and about $20 in nickels. Mom asked for dimes and quarters, but the teller said, "I kept those...they were all silver."
                The pennies were all the same as the other rolls...mostly older Wheats and IH's . The nickels were all Jefferson with a couple of Buffalos, along with many of the 35% silver wartime alloy.

I was hooked on coin collecting after that...at least for a few years before hunting, fishing, and girls took all my time.

Got back into it 20 years ago when my son was old enough to enjoy the hobby.

Best penny I ever found searching change and rolls was a 1922 No "D" wheat cent worth about $700.

It's a fun and interesting hobby if you like history and the possibility of hitting a "jackpot".

Comment

I have heard and have always been on the look out ( ever sense I was a little kid) for a 1943 copper penny, is supposed to be THE most valuable coins. I have numerous 1942 and 1944 copper, but only silver 1943 penny’s. I have a bag full of coins my dad collected, but have no clue to the value. There’s a few confederate bills in there also, a 5.00, 10.00 and a 50.00 if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                    I have heard and have always been on the look out ( ever sense I was a little kid) for a 1943 copper penny, is supposed to be THE most valuable coins. I have numerous 1942 and 1944 copper, but only silver 1943 penny’s. I have a bag full of coins my dad collected, but have no clue to the value. There’s a few confederate bills in there also, a 5.00, 10.00 and a 50.00 if I remember correctly.
                    The 1943-D copper cent is probably the most valuable small cent at $1.7 million.

You have much better odds of finding a 1969-S doubled die cent...

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                      The 1943-D copper cent is probably the most valuable small cent at $1.7 million.

You have much better odds of finding a 1969-S doubled die cent...

https://www.coinworld.com/news/preci...erse-cent.html
                      I'll never pick up another penny again without looking at what's stamped on it. That's insane.

Comment

This thread made me sort thru my change bucket. Hadn’t done it in a couple years. I found 27 quarters from 1965 but none from 1964 or older. Found these two jewels though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

All I found today was another Canadian coin.

Comment

I always keep them when I find them in my change, get lucky every now and again and find something with silver content but not very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I keep all the wheat pennies too. My best find was a 1917 and of all places, on a place somewhere just outside of Throckmorton on a quail hunt years ago. We had stopped, looking for a dog. While dad was hollering and whistling, I dropped down to one knee and there it was just laying on top of the ground. Only reason I noticed, it was solid black. Out in the middle of nowhere!!!

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                                Do any of y'all save wheat pennies or just spend them? Ever since I was a kid I have always kept them. I got two yesterday so that's what made me think to ask. I have a change jar but I always check to see what I got before I throw change in there.

I couldn't even tell you why I keep them. Just always have. No particular reason.
                                Yes, we save them and Bicentennial quarters.

Comment

Working...
                                X