Old hunting pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    That is a awesome couple of pics.. Time sure flies!!!
    I know all three gentlemen and yes the pics are awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
      Great thread! I love the old pictures and history.

I have a couple of books filled with my grandfather's and uncles. I hope to eventually somehow get them converted to modern storage. Just not sure how to do it since they are pretty fragile and glued to the pages. There are probably a couple hundred pictures in the 2 books. Any ideas on best way to do this?

Basically 3 options to digitize your old photos.

First is with your phone. Photomyne has a decent app that does all the cropping and color correcting for you and you can add name, date and other info. Free version but don’t think you can save print quality files unless you pay for the subscription. At least you can try and see if you like before paying. This could get very tedious taking hundreds of photos but still faster than editing each photo in photoshop or similar software.

Second is a scanner. Some have a feeder that scans photos very fast and can auto correct each but you would have to have them out of the album. You can scan them in batches and assign all them the same date (ie. Spring 1965). There are good flatbed scanners you could use and not remove from album page. This can be real slow especially if you have to correct each photo after scanning. Flatbed scanners also seem to highlight every last speck of dust on photo or scanner glass so clean often if your software can’t auto fix the dust. This method can give you the highest resolution for enlarging prints if needed but can be an overwhelming project because of the time involved. All depends on the software you might have or what is included with scanner.

Third is easiest but not cheapest. Use a scan service. One is Scanmyphotos.com. Starting $145 for 72dpi scans only good for online viewing and up over $300 for high quality 600dpi scans. This is for a prepaid box that can hold up to 1800 photos. If you batch them with date, place labels they can have that info to organize some for you when scanning. The’re extra add ons to cost for returning photos and/or making them available for download so could be close to $400 when all done.

With your situation of the photos being fragile I think I would try the phone app first. Post some here if you try it.

Comment

Brownwood Bulletin November 1977. Still the best whitetail my Dad has ever shot. I was 3. I still have the shoulder mount. I remember the springer spaniel in the background his name was Lefty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

From my moms side, I don’t know many of the details.
          Attached Files

Comment

this thread is awesome!!! as the only hunter in my family im gonna try and take a few more pics and get em printed out. would love my nephews and if i am blessed with children of my own for them to find some history like this! only hunting memorabillia i have is an old knife my poppa used when he was a kid to skin rabbits his dad had him hunt. sadly my dad had no urge to hunt so the tradition died with my poppa till i decided to pick up a bow.

agree with most. this is the coolest thread to date.

Comment

My dad and I 35 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome pic's

Comment

For those that enjoy old hunting and fishing pictures, check out this FB page.

Texas Hunting & Fishing - Wildlife / History

This group is a place to post those old hunting and fishing photo's or stories from our past. Also early Texas Wildlife pictures are welcome. This group is open to the public and all are welcome to...

Comment

Hey darrelld good pic. That is the legendary Jim Dougherty in the pic with Fred right? I regret never meeting either one of them. Loved reading Jim’s articles. Heck of an outdoor ambassador.

Comment

Love these types of thread's. When I was about 16 I found some photos from us at the deer lease when I was about 7-8 and I put together an album. This past year I recently found it and printed a ton of photos that I had for the past 14-15 years and added to it. I wish my dad had taken more pics when he was younger as I hear the stories but wish I could see the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by drewwland View Post
                        My grandpa passed last year. This is my favorite picture of him. I believe it was late 1950’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Was your GP a Mason??? Looks like a Masonic ring on his right hand.

Comment

Working...
                        X