Rainy Day Funds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
    I am here. 20% to 401K, after that, it's hard to save much more, with a single income and 3 kids at home. 401K looks NICE, bit it's useless in a time like this, I can't put my hands on it. Luckily we're doing ok, but I always wish I had more money that I could get my hands on if needed in a hurry.

Don't get me wrong, I could put some up if I just sat at home, but life is too short to be bored.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    I understand - so maybe suspend or cut back on your 401k contribution and build up an emergency fund - preferably 6 times your monthly income - do not invest it but just keep it in the bank or money market where it is accessible - once that is done then resume your 401K contributions

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
      I am here. 20% to 401K, after that, it's hard to save much more, with a single income and 3 kids at home. 401K looks NICE, bit it's useless in a time like this, I can't put my hands on it. Luckily we're doing ok, but I always wish I had more money that I could get my hands on if needed in a hurry.

Don't get me wrong, I could put some up if I just sat at home, but life is too short to be bored.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
      Just put 10% into 401 and 10% into an emergency fund until you build up to where you want to be. Then go back to 20% into 401.

Comment

Never learned to save growing up, but my wife change that 30 some years ago. We are now retired and living nicely off our SS and my retirement. The RMD that my wife has to take out now is just extra money every year. We have two trucks and two cars, an RV and our home and a cabin in the mountains all paid for. Life is good, just hope we don't run out of TP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodd View Post
          Wise words from a wise man!
          thanks but it is basic financial advice that I am offering for free - a planner is worth their salt in times like this - they can help keep folks from making knee jerk decisions when emotions are high as they are now - carry on!

Comment

I grew up thinking we were kind of hard up, just plain stuff, didn’t eat out much, take fancy trips etc. My parents seemed dull compared to the neighborhood kids folks who took them to Hawaii, had big toys and kind of got caught up in the moment. At a point in college my dad and I got to talk about life, money and expectations. I wanted to buy a motorcycle and some other toys and he told me I couldn’t afford it. Burned me up and I showed him how affordable the payments would be. He laughed in my face and said have fun making someone else money when times are good and losing everything when there’s a bump in the road. I still think of him telling me I can’t afford something unless I can pay cash and not have it impact me if I don’t have a job. That man squeezes a nickel so hard he gets buffalo poop on his fingers, but he’s right and he’s living the dream as a result of savings and self control. I remember reading Dave Ramsey and Robert Kyosaki books not long after folding on the motorcycle and opting to save and getting upset because it felt like a lecture from my old man. Consistently saving is really key to financial independence.

Comment

I think learning to save is one of the most valuable skills you can learn in life. I have ALWAYS tried to have the “pay yourself first” mentality and so far it has worked. I was blessed with a great job straight out of college and as a young single man with no kids I started that habit and so far I’ve kept it up. I try to put it away before i even see it. I never see my pension,IRA, 457 or savings account. If I can’t afford it after that I don’t get it. It sucks from time to time but I know for a fact that it will pay off. My parents weren’t, and still aren’t that good at it and they’re noticing it now. My grandparents however saved everything and are still living the dream in retirement.

My grandpa asked me one time “Why spend money to impress people that mean nothing to you?!” That has stuck with me my entire life.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                I think learning to save is one of the most valuable skills you can learn in life. I have ALWAYS tried to have the “pay yourself first” mentality and so far it has worked. I was blessed with a great job straight out of college and as a young single man with no kids I started that habit and so far I’ve kept it up. I try to put it away before i even see it. I never see my pension,IRA, 457 or savings account. If I can’t afford it after that I don’t get it. It sucks from time to time but I know for a fact that it will pay off. My parents weren’t, and still aren’t that good at it and they’re noticing it now. My grandparents however saved everything and are still living the dream in retirement.

My grandpa asked me one time “Why spend money to impress people that mean nothing to you?!” That has stuck with me my entire life.
                And many would argue "Why wait until you're an old fart to enjoy it?!"

Congrats on being fortunate to save your hard-earned money! I had the same mentality for saving- but a nasty divorce, substantial child support, and student loans, and a relatively small paycheck put me in bad bind of just trying to make it month to month for the last several years. But the light is starting to shine. My student loans are paid off as is one of my 'big' credit cards, and my child support will be done in 3 years. My wife and I are going to meet with a financial planner soon and get this ball rolling to smash the rest of our debt. We are lucky in that we both have fair pensions for life when we retire, so anything after that is pure gravy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  When I was a young man my grandfather instilled the idea of " Rainy Day Funds " into my head. He lived through the great depression and 2 World Wars and never once did without...

He would always tell me if you earn a nickel hide a penny... cause one day that penny is going to shine bright....

Glad I listened to that great man!
                  Your grandad was a wise man

I know every person has different situations but I know a lot of people that I grew up with, work with, etc. that live well beyond their means.

Big house, 2 new cars, toys (boats, ATVs, and such), credit cards and when a hiccup hits they are in a very tight spot.
                  Nothing wrong with having any and all of that but balancing income/debt is important

I need to add up what percentage I am saving of my income but it is enough to have a cushion and a peace when life throws a curve ball

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                    Your grandad was a wise man

I know every person has different situations but I know a lot of people that I grew up with, work with, etc. that live well beyond their means.

Big house, 2 new cars, toys (boats, ATVs, and such), credit cards and when a hiccup hits they are in a very tight spot.
                    Nothing wrong with having any and all of that but balancing income/debt is important

I need to add up what percentage I am saving of my income but it is enough to have a cushion and a peace when life throws a curve ball
                    I was talking to my UPS driver a couple days ago and he said they have been real busy right now. He was telling me that folks are just sitting around ordering all kinds of stuff online, and he was tired of handling boxes of that DIY furniture kits. He told me that about a month from now when the credit card bill comes in that reality will sink in with some folks. I never really even thought about that until he mentioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post

That sure is a fancy truck you have listed in the classifieds

Just givin ya a little hell. Sounds like you have the right mind set.

Comment

Grandpas advice was “ take care of your own ya and they will take care of your dollars”.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                          That sure is a fancy truck you have listed in the classifieds

Just givin ya a little hell. Sounds like you have the right mind set.

Ha! Two things I’ll spend money on... hunting and my pickup. But money is put back before that payment is ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

total money

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
                            I also have a copy of Total Money Makeover that I will send to someone for free. It’s in my office and I’m working from home now but when I got back I’ll happily send it to someone. Just DM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            If still available I will pay shipping.

Comment

A thought for some of you guys that think a lay off could be in your future. It may be a good idea to lower your 401k contribution in the short term to increase your cash flow.

Comment

I wish everyone of the checks the government is about to mail out came with a requirement that the recipient sit through a class on personal financial responsibility. I understand this virus isn’t anyone’s fault and it has caused good hard working people to go without a paycheck, but it drives me nuts that anyone feels that it is the government’s responsibility to cover for them. The current situation is the very reason everyone should have an emergency fund.

I just shake my head every time a person tells me that they are barely making it and can’t save any money as they pull a $1,000+ phone out of their pocket and begin to tell me about the latest series they are watching on cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X