No announcement yet.

2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres a video we made of buying our CL chickens!

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
      Heres a video we made of buying our CL chickens!
      https://youtu.be/naST-IhFSR4
      Awesome video and great information.

Comment

Comment

We just got some baby chicks 8 of them one of them broke its neck and we don’t know how! First time owning some chick but so far love it!!

Comment

I have 8 hens and a rooster. At one time we had 15 but I had a fox problem that took me a while to correct but I haven’t lost a chicken to varmits in over a year. Controlling varmits for us has been the thing that has helped the most.

Comment

When you get your chickens go find you a diy book on raising them and how to recognize diseases, there are some that are very simple and easy to cure but will kill your chickens quick, like coccidiosis and the "greens" (don't remember the scientific terminology). Makes growing chickens a lot less frustrating when they're not dieing on you half the time!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                They love to shat on the porch, garage, etc...
                Yup! I think for 3-4 chickens the way to do it is a chicken tractor. Basically a rolling coop that you rotate around the yard. Similar to rotating cattle from pasture to pasture, just on a smaller scale. If I remember right a chicken only needs 2-3sqft a bird. I’ve got 1 rooster and 9 chickens w/ another 6 pullets about to get added to the flock any day now.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                    Yes sir!

Comment

My daughter arranged these and took this pic the other day.

Comment

For a 100% beginner to chickens and someone that wants to get a couple (2-3) to try it out, would something like this work for a typical neighborhood backyard coop?

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                          For a 100% beginner to chickens and someone that wants to get a couple (2-3) to try it out, would something like this work for a typical neighborhood backyard coop?

https://www.amazon.com/Tangkula-Chic...upplies&sr=1-1
                          If I were doing it I'd look for a 10x10 dog kennel and put a tin top. Add a few milk crates for nest boxes and be done. That one you posted isn't very varmint proof.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                            With everything thats going on I have noticed a significant increase in people buying chickens and also asking lots of beginner questions. So I figured I would start a thread to share information and also to ask questions.

My wife and I have had laying hens for the last 8 year's or so. Here's is a video my wife recently made with a few tips for beginners.
                            https://youtu.be/NATVkxcvwKY

Tell the First Lady she just gained another subscriber [emoji16][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                              For you guys that have chickens in a neighborhood......how big of a space do you need to realistically consider getting a couple of chickens? And how big of a mess on a concrete patio could 2-3 chickens really make?

My backyard is about 55x40 and I have a concrete patio that is about 26x15.

Thanks.
                              With 2-3 chickens I'd keep em in a small Tractor Supply Style Coop. Get one rated for 6-8 birds if you only want 2. I'd build it myself because the ones from tractor supply are built like crud. If you pm me your number I send pics of a small one o just built. It's what I would consider the right size for 2-3 birds.

Comment

Rebuilding my run and coop after losing all 10 hens to predators(coons I believe). So far I have the run fences up and top going on soon. Coop needs some work but I gotta hurry cause the wife got 9 day old chicks from the neighbor a couple days ago.
                                A few tips:
                                Chickens need 3-4 sq ft each in the run and about 1.5-2 for the coop. And they will be more comfortable with more.
                                The store bought coops that say they will house "up to 10" chickens will house 5 full size birds comfortably. Less if you have giants and a couple more for bantam size birds
                                Predators WILL find your chickens. Predator proof their environment as well as possible.
                                Introduce new, young chicks to the flock gradually. Preferably given their own safe space inside the coop where they can talk to and get to know each other safely. The older residents will bully the new, young ones.
                                Don't get a rooster chick with your order when getting new birds. Get a very young one and let the hens raise him. They will teach him manners. Ask me how I know.
                                Backyardchickens.com is your friend!
                                Last edited by locolobo; 04-21-2020, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X