Fire ant killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire ant killer

Looking for something to treat the whole backyard with. Its not a humongous backyard, but pretty good size. I've treated 4 mounds in two days and three of them just moved a couple feet over. What's the best kind to spread over the whole yard? I've been using ortho mound killer so something not ortho, that stuff sux.

This is not feasible for your whole yard. I ran out of orthene and stirred up the bed and sprayed them with Spectricide foaming wasp spray. I got a great body count.

Comment

I’ve had good luck with Over and Out.

Comment

Thedirtdoctor.com says to spread horticultural molasses granules over your entire yard and the fire ants will pack up and move to parts unknown. Don't know if it works, don't have to much fire ants out here in the desert.

Comment

If you were closer I’d give you some Regent herbicide, only need 5 ounces per acre, 2-3 years no ants to speak of. You can buy online but it’s crazy expensive and you don’t need much.

Comment

Some mound killers instruct you to water the poison after applying.
            Not sure if the Ortho you are using requires this?

Comment

Originally posted by BDKett View Post
              I’ve had good luck with Over and Out.
              Ive used this with good results.

Comment

Comment

Orthene works well for me--after dusting the mound itself, I drop a ring around the mound so if they try to move they have a toxic barrier in their way.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    If you were closer I’d give you some Regent herbicide, only need 5 ounces per acre, 2-3 years no ants to speak of. You can buy online but it’s crazy expensive and you don’t need much.
                    Herbicide? Can you post a pic of the label?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbaganoosh View Post
                      Some mound killers instruct you to water the poison after applying.
                      Not sure if the Ortho you are using requires this?
                      Yea it does, but I did that.

Comment

I use demon. 1 pouch to a gallon. Spray all visible beds. Come back in a week and may be some stragglers, treat 1 more time, they will be gone after that for the year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've tried a lot of things but this makes me think of wild pigs. They're like big hairy fire ants. One you get them you'll never get rid of them.

Comment

I'll give over n out a go. I saw a fertilizer with built in fire ant control the other day, anyone try that?

Comment

Amdro on the mounds you can identify, and then sprinkle it throughout the yard as well. It's a bait that ants think is food, so they take it into the mound for you -- to the queen and all others. If any mounds are still active in a week, get some Orthene -- white stinky powder -- and treat those mounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X