No announcement yet.

Bermuda vs St. Augustine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saint Augustine is a water hog. Bermuda is not far behind but will tolerate dry periods.

Really, seriously, check out blue gramma. It is a fine leaf, short growing native that is very drought tolerant. It has a very soft feeling on your bare feet. You only need to mow it 2-4 times a year.

I loved it when I had it but my husband LOVES to mow so he mowed it every week and killed it. I have a few small patches here and there that I try to protect.

Comment

No trees than for sure not St Augustine. If you have the choice I'd go zoysia if not then bermuda.

Comment

St Augustine is my choice. But only till I learned to mow more often and set my mower almost as High as it can go. Seems to protect itself left taller. Once established it holds up well and with little water. I have a large yard and part done in each. Augustine is way easier to keep alive and pretty here near Austin for me. Have some experience as an over seer (not hands on) with commercial properties as builder and/or asset manager. Bermuda would probably be my choice for commercial. Home, no Bermuda for me. Both can be beautiful. Bermuda varieties is a big deal. I do not know the names to assist there but the seeds sold at Home Depot and Lowes is awful stuff and mixed with trash multiple varieties. Good seed is not cheap. A good seed store and sod supplier can help big time (hopefully)

Comment

Originally posted by mattjproc View Post
          No trees than for sure not St Augustine. If you have the choice I'd go zoysia if not then bermuda.
          You ever seen a st Augustine sod field with trees growing in it? Yeah, me neither

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
            You ever seen a st Augustine sod field with trees growing in it? Yeah, me neither
            Yeah, but it takes a lot of water to keep looking nice July - September

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

Really, seriously, check out blue gramma. It is a fine leaf, short growing native that is very drought tolerant. It has a very soft feeling on your bare feet. You only need to mow it 2-4 times a year.

I loved it when I had it but my husband LOVES to mow so he mowed it every week and killed it. I have a few small patches here and there that I try to protect.
              Above or buffalograss, or a mix of buffalograss, blue grama and curly mesquite

No fertilizer, very little water if at all in your area, don't have to mow it if you don't want to because it will only grow about 6" tall and falls over at that height.

Comment

Working...
              X