cost of roping horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cost of roping horse

I was wondering what was a reasonable price for a roping horse. My son is on the High School Rodeo team and wanted to start roping. I know you can spend a fortune but what is realistic?

Team or calf roping?

There is a direct correlation to $$ and quality of a horse. I will tell you its much easier to learn on a good horse than a mediocre one.

I was fortunate to learn on an basically automatic horse when i was in younger.

Comment

How long has he been roping?

Comment

Get into rough stock
        I couldn’t afford a expensive roping horse, I could out rope my partner all day long until his parent bought him a $40,000 horse then he beat everyone

Rough stock just carry your rigging around way cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depending on what he is looking for but to get a solid seasoned horse your going to start around the 10-15K range

Comment

If he doesn't know how to rope, trying to learn to rope and teach a horse to be roping horse is not a good mix. You need a finished roping horse to learn to rope and for a good one you will start at about 10K.

Comment

I know a kid who grew up at our cotton gin with his dad hauling cotton modules, he is the son of a (family) real ranch cowboy heretige type deal, old part of King Ranch, El Sauz, he carried his rope throwing at everyone and everything he walked by, time flies by and he is a man now, Ive never seen him in competition, but the way they talk, you just pay him if he shows His dad would know about where there was a horse for sale, Anthony Nieto is the kids name, Martin is his dad, I doubt they mind me telling this story, good people

Comment

Get in touch with Slick Robinson down by Dennis - he wont steer you wrong. I can get you his number if you need it. Good luck, hope he goes far. Its a great sport surrounded by good people. For the most part.

Comment

I heeled from the time I was 10 until my mid 20's. I roped on a $1,000 horse that I trained because that's all we could afford. But I competed against guys who were riding $10-$40k horses and that was 20 years ago.

Like everybody has said above. You will be doing him a huge favor by getting him a finished horse.

Comment

roping

Originally posted by Randy View Post

There is a direct correlation to $$ and quality of a horse. I will tell you its much easier to learn on a good horse than a mediocre one.

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                    If he doesn't know how to rope, trying to learn to rope and teach a horse to be roping horse is not a good mix. You need a finished roping horse to learn to rope and for a good one you will start at about 10K.
                    Here it is on these two. you will be able to make your choices to support him with encouragement, time and a little investment. And dont worry about losing the $5~10k, someone will buy it if he is good and if you sell for a little less later down the road, all money spent would have been worth it.

and also.....the entry fees hurt as much as a round of golf these days.

enjoy it while you can!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                      Get into rough stock
                      I couldn’t afford a expensive roping horse, I could out rope my partner all day long until his parent bought him a $40,000 horse then he beat everyone

Rough stock just carry your rigging around way cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      X2. Spend $3-500 on used gear once and $20-40/week on practice pens. You can haul your gear around in a $800 Camry and never have to pay a feed bill, buy a trailer, pay for diesel let alone spend $10k+ on a horse.

Comment

Whatever you spend on the horse will be a minor part of the cost of owning that horse.

Expensive ones will hurt themselves in a padded room, and you can't kill a sorry one.

Comment

Broke Sound Cheap
                          Pick 2
                          If it is broke and sound it ain't gonna be cheap
                          If it is cheap and sound it ain't gonna be broke
                          If it is broke and cheap it ain't gonna be sound

In all seriousness 10 to 15 K should get you one

Comment

You might want to 'shop' outside of Parker County. Folks there get pretty goofy about horses and prices.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              Depending on what he is looking for but to get a solid seasoned horse your going to start around the 10-15K range
                              i agree with this. You can find a good competitive rope horse for the 10-15k range. I may even be able to steer you in that direction. There is a good horse trainer in the town where i live that regularly has personal and customer horses for sale, and if not can likely help find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X