Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
    Man I love when a plan works out

I think PoPo just got the bird I passed on last Sunday!

There’s still a few birds in the area so we’re letting them wander off a little bit

He’s hunting down on the river and I stayed up at the camp house watching the whole thing from 300 yards away

Sweet. Post up some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
      Best gobbling of the year in Pipe Creek this morning by far. Had two different birds work inside 100 yards but never got to lay eyes on them. Best morning I’ve had there yet even though I didn’t pull the trigger.

Good to hear. I was hoping to go today. They fired up the last time we had a cool morning.

Comment

Hot dog, like hearing birds are still getting hot. We’re heading back for one last try for an Eastern tomorrow after work. Hope to at least get my son on one, but would love to get several.

Comment

I was turkey hunting on the backside of our place this morning here in Iowa. My "scout" Tracy (my wife) took these pictures from our living room window.[emoji16] This is the second time she has found the gobblers from the house while I have been out hunting in other places.[emoji3525] The deer and raccoons like my decoy though. #tryagaintomorrow

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
            I was turkey hunting on the backside of our place this morning here in Iowa. My "scout" Tracy (my wife) took these pictures from our living room window.[emoji16] This is the second time she has found the gobblers from the house while I have been out hunting in other places.[emoji3525] The deer and raccoons like my decoy though. #tryagaintomorrow

Darn the luck!

That bird in second pic looks like a heavyweight!

Comment

Well

Turns out PoPo had a little mishap....in all the excitement, he shot the wrong bird

Oh well

He was excited and that’s all that matters!

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                Darn the luck!

That bird in second pic looks like a heavyweight!
                I tried to upload the original pictures. My wife took the pictures with our Canon Power Shot digital camera. I transferred them to my phone but Tapatalk wouldn't upload them. I had to screenshot them to upload. The original pics were clearer. My wife said that bird appeared to be the dominant of the 3 toms. I am going to set up in the corner of that field before daylight in the morning with two decoys. If I don't hear any gobbles or get any response I am going to run and gun. These birds cover a lot of ground up here and seem to roost wherever they end up at dark. They were roosting more consistently during deer season. I have gone to areas where they were roosting last fall and have not seen or heard any birds roosting. Here are a couple of pictures of what some of the country in our area looks like. If you look real close in the right portion of the first picture you can see our house thru the trees (red roof). We live in the North Fabius River corridor. You can see how everything drops towards the river. Those birds today we're about a half mile down the crick from where these pictures were taken. My neighbor disked and treated the field where the gobblers were today with nitrogen preparing for planting corn.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 04-30-2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                  Hot dog, like hearing birds are still getting hot. We’re heading back for one last try for an Eastern tomorrow after work. Hope to at least get my son on one, but would love to get several.
                  They whipped us today Found a group of gobbling birds, but couldn't get them on the right side of the fence. There's still a few that seem interested. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                    They whipped us today Found a group of gobbling birds, but couldn't get them on the right side of the fence. There's still a few that seem interested. Good luck!

You found gobbling birds....that’s half the battle

You hunting private?

Comment

PoPo and I are headed out for probably the last hunt of the season [emoji22]

Comment

Birds were talkin this mornin

Had 3 hens right off the roost but the gobblers stayed henned up behind us

Just called in a gobbling jake across the field.

Beautiful mornin!!

Comment

Can’t believe there is still that many hens out and about.

Comment

Will they continue to breed until all hens are tended to or is there a stopping point?

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                              Will they continue to breed until all hens are tended to or is there a stopping point?

May 3rd here in Karnes!!!

Ha

I’m sure they’ll breed as long as the hens let em.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                                They will even breed again if the nest fails. Heard on the MeatEater podcast from a turkey biologist that they have evidence of hens nesting in to June.

Comment

Working...
                                X