No announcement yet.

Turkey Tour 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We got one roosted right below us on the river bottom and he’s fired up.

Comment

Good luck Clay....hoping she knocks out her second this year!!

Comment

The wind just got here and it’s blowing pretty good.

Maybe we’ll have some one cruise down our road

Comment

Good luck to y’all! Hope she hammers one.

Comment

Had one fire up behind us around 8:30 but that’s been it

We’re about to call it a morning.

Comment

Great birds everyone. Congrats!! Been awhile since I checked up on this thread with Brigadier General Smart and her honeydoo list keeping me busy lol..

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
              Look who woke up this morning

Great pic! Kaden is way too cute. It's a dang good thing she looks like her mother!..

Comment

I have been hunting the last week up here in SE Iowa. We have some huge Easterns up here, but there are a challenge.

Our terrain up here is huge rolling hills, crop fields, and little pockets of timber. The turkey are scattered over a vast area and can be hard to locate. The toms cover a lot of ground in search of hens.

Last week was our third season and I was hunting our ground on a land owner tag which costs $1.00 [emoji846]. I was set up on the back corner of our place which is about 1/2 mile from the house. My wife had gone out on our front porch and owl hooted. A tom instantly gobbled back to her. She kept owl hooting and he kept gobbling. I finally heard him and started calling. He came from 300-400 yards right to me. Only problem was I outsmarted myself....or he outsmarted me. I had set up in a drainage that ends at a 90 degree fence corner. I had seen a lot of tracks at that corner. That is where I had a hen decoy. The gobbler came in behind me and above me. He strutted and gobbled behind a bush at the top of the drainage up above me for about 2-3 minutes. Finally I made a real soft Yelp and he committed and started down into the drainage. I needed him to go about 10 feet to clear some brush for a shot. About half way down into the drainage he got nervous and ran off. Another turkey hunting lesson learned. Don't set up in a low spot where you can't see where the gobbler is coming in.

You can see the bush he was behind in the first picture. There are a couple of my other set ups in the other pictures. The deer and coons like my decoy too.[emoji1]

Our 4th season started this morning. I have a statewide tag for the 4th season so I will have many more options on where I can hunt. I didn't go out this morning because its about 45 degrees and the wind is roaring. This 4th season goes to May 16th. I am going to keep after them !!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                  I have been hunting the last week up here in SE Iowa. We have some huge Easterns up here, but there are a challenge.

Our terrain up here is huge rolling hills, crop fields, and little pockets of timber. The turkey are scattered over a vast area and can be hard to locate. The toms cover a lot of ground in search of hens.

Last week was our third season and I was hunting our ground on a land owner tag which costs $1.00 [emoji846]. I was set up on the back corner of our place which is about 1/2 mile from the house. My wife had gone out on our front porch and owl hooted. A tom instantly gobbled back to her. She kept owl hooting and he kept gobbling. I finally heard him and started calling. He came from 300-400 yards right to me. Only problem was I outsmarted myself....or he outsmarted me. I had set up in a drainage that ends at a 90 degree fence corner. I had seen a lot of tracks at that corner. That is where I had a hen decoy. The gobbler came in behind me and above me. He strutted and gobbled behind a bush at the top of the drainage up above me for about 2-3 minutes. Finally I made a real soft Yelp and he committed and started down into the drainage. I needed him to go about 10 feet to clear some brush for a shot. About half way down into the drainage he got nervous and ran off. Another turkey hunting lesson learned. Don't set up in a low spot where you can't see where the gobbler is coming in.

You can see the bush he was behind in the first picture. There are a couple of my other set ups in the other pictures. The deer and coons like my decoy too.[emoji1]

Our 4th season started this morning. I have a statewide tag for the 4th season so I will have many more options on where I can hunt. I didn't go out this morning because its about 45 degrees and the wind is roaring. This 4th season goes to May 16th. I am going to keep after them !!

Last year, we hunted around Cantril and it was some awesome land.

Good luck remainder of your season

Comment

Last year, we hunted around Cantril and it was some awesome land.

Good luck remainder of your season
                    Thank you !!!

You were about 30 miles east of our farm. Which season were you hunting.

Comment

Thank you !!!

You were about 30 miles east of our farm. Which season were you hunting.

I don’t remember which season

I killed my bird on April 14

Comment

I guess Im gonna have to get up earlier this weekend. Every other Rio Ive killed was between 10a-1p. Ive made 2 trips this season and havent heard a peep in the late morning.

Comment

I don’t remember which season

I killed my bird on April 14
                          That would have been season 1

If you ever draw up here again get ahold of me and come by our place.

Comment

That would have been season 1

If you ever draw up here again get ahold of me and come by our place.

I appreciate that!!!

I told myself I’d definitely make that trip again

Comment

I'm going to give the Medina county place one more go in the AM. I don't have high hopes since it's been so slow out there this year, but I need to take down my cameras anyways. I'm going to give it a go for a couple of hours and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                                I'm going to give the Medina county place one more go in the AM. I don't have high hopes since it's been so slow out there this year, but I need to take down my cameras anyways. I'm going to give it a go for a couple of hours and see what happens.

Good luck

The weather is going to be beautiful

Sometimes those low expectations hunts turn out to be the best ones!

Comment

Working...
                                X