No announcement yet.

Turkey Tour 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More hard gobbling jakes this AM. Had one at 10 yards behind me. Just had enough of an opening to see his jake fan as he spit and drummed behind me.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bone View Post
      Texas was great to me this year. Punched my last tag Saturday morning. I'll be headed to New Mexico this weekend to scout for their season that opens next week. I'm hoping I can get into the birds like last year. I did run into a few people, so my goal for this scouting trip is to find some additional ground. I love chasing those mountain birds.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Geez! Looks like you made the most of your time hunting

You still looking at NM later in the season or did you free up some dates?

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
        this is where the patience and persistence of bowhunting (popup w/decoys) pays off...you sift though the jakes and (if you put in the time) the gobblers will change moods.

I'd bet your (what do you call it) "active" approach has scared a few birds the last few weeks?

Scared the gobblers off and all that is left is the stupid jakes! [emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
          More hard gobbling jakes this AM. Had one at 10 yards behind me. Just had enough of an opening to see his jake fan as he spit and drummed behind me.

Looks you had Jmalin sitting in your lap this morning. If you two would get a popup you’d quit scaring the gobblers off!

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post

Looks you had Jmalin sitting in your lap this morning. If you two would get a popup you’d quit scaring the gobblers off!

Daaaaaang!! Busted again!!! I hate it when that happens

Comment

Geez! Looks like you made the most of your time hunting

You still looking at NM later in the season or did you free up some dates?
              Man, everything I had on the calendar holding me back from going has been canceled. I am now planning on taking multiple trips up there this year if needed to punch both of those tags. I am planning on starting my first hunt on the 16th or 17th. How about yourself?

Comment

I, too, heard a hard gobbling jake.

Saturday morning was cold and wet with low overcast and mist turning to rain and back to mist in Robert Lee. We were standing outside drinking coffee and listening for gobbles when we heard a gobble right beside us. What turned out to be a jake had walked up the road (I assume) behind the camp and was headed to the other side of the house trap. I was behind the truck and couldn't see him, but my buddy Stevie could. I gave out three soft yelps and he started gobbling his head off, but he was generally going away. This repeated itself for a few minutes and I had succeeded in keeping him from getting any farther away, but he was still out of range.

Then a hen flew over our heads and landed about 20 yards in front of us. Scared the heck out of me. She went towards the gobbler and I thought for sure that we would lose him, so I started yelping more aggressively and cutting at her. She ignored that completely. I changed tactics and started trying to mimic her yelps. She was yelping softly in threes.

At that point, another gobbler fired up behind us and he was coming. I thought that the jake and hen were a lost cause, but this other gobbler was fired up and coming from what I thought was about a hundred yards. I was concentrating on if I could see him when I got my second scaring of the day. Stevie let loose on the jake in front of us and whacked him stone dead at 50 yards.

I am a novice turkey hunter, so I couldn't tell the difference between this jake and a tom. I have heard jake yelps on youtube and what not and it didn't sound like that.

Those two birds were the only gobbles we heard all weekend.

That evening, a group of five hens walked within 10 yards of me and flew directly over my head to roost in the line of trees behind me about 20'. I tried to ease out of there quietly after dark, but they busted me and flew off about 100 yards to roost farther down that tree line.

I set up the next morning about 150-200 yards from where they roosted the night before and got a bit of education, though no toms were harmed. I got to hear one hen flydown cackle which was pretty cool. They all were yelping their asses off with no answering gobbles. I even heard one hen kee kee. Instead of the soft three yelp sequence, these hens were aggressively yelping 6-7 times.

I enjoyed the hell out of listening to those hens talk.

They all went east which soon put them off the property, so I decided to walk around a bit. Of course, a jake walked right through where I was set up a couple of hours later about 15 minutes before I got back there from my walk about.

So, maybe I will sit still for a while once I find a place with turkeys even if there are no gobblers there.
                Last edited by El General; 04-08-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Turkey Tour 2020

Turkey this am had 6 long beards in the decoys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by gtsticker; 04-08-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

PoPo hunted from 3:10 to 7:45 and didn’t hear a peep

Pretty crazy

Comment

PoPo hunted from 3:10 to 7:45 and didn’t hear a peep

Pretty crazy

Tell him don’t feel bad, hunted 2 places in two counties all day and all I had to show for it was a pointed rock and a headless cottonmouth.....two gobblers gobbled on the roost (could have been hard gobbling jakes I guess)[emoji849] this morning and didn’t hear a single peep the rest of the day. Saw 4 solo hens after putting about 6 1/2 miles on my boots......

Comment

Wondering what we can expect for our Eastern season in far NE Texas. Weather has been crazy, just like everything else right now. It was in the 90’s today, and they are calling for highs in the 50’s next week! All I know is April 24th I will be in the turkey woods. Can’t wait to finally chase some thunder chickens!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
                          Wondering what we can expect for our Eastern season in far NE Texas. Weather has been crazy, just like everything else right now. It was in the 90’s today, and they are calling for highs in the 50’s next week! All I know is April 24th I will be in the turkey woods. Can’t wait to finally chase some thunder chickens!
                          If I was a betting man, I'd say you guys may be timing it perfect

Our birds are finally splitting up which puts them 3 weeks behind the last few years.

Comment

Man, everything I had on the calendar holding me back from going has been canceled. I am now planning on taking multiple trips up there this year if needed to punch both of those tags. I am planning on starting my first hunt on the 16th or 17th. How about yourself?

You headed to the Lincoln or Gila? I’ve been thinking real hard about heading back to NM(lived there for almost 8 years) or either heading to East Tejas to spend a few days chasing Easterns.

Comment

If I was a betting man, I'd say you guys may be timing it perfect

Our birds are finally splitting up which puts them 3 weeks behind the last few years.

I hope they are...here in Bandera it’s been 2-3 Jakes and 2-3 hens everywhere you look. I’ve only seen two mature birds when driving around the last few weeks.

I’m guessing there was a bad hatch two years ago. I know this past year we had a really good hatch, so at least next year should be good.

Comment

Man....I haven’t decided yet but I bet I don’t do any traveling this season

This COVID crap has everything jacked up with work and personal schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                X