No announcement yet.

Sonora / Sutton County 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stayed at a reduced rate. Saw more deer and Axis 3 weeks ago than all of the 2 weeks I was there during the season. Will be checking cameras in a few weeks.

Comment

Stayed in Ozona. Reduced rate. Haven't been but planning trip in the near future

Comment

Hey guys, good to hear so many staying. We stayed as well and are hoping for the best. In the end Mother Nature will always win but hopefully she will give us a break!! We are staying due to a great place and great land owners. One of those things that when your happy it’s worth a lot in its own and the hunting is a bonus. We lost some of our group which is a bummer because they were great people. We have been down once since the season and added some feeders and put out some more cameras. Hoping to get down during turkey season to hang out and check the pics. I will keep ya posted with what we are seeing. We are just west of the caverns. Hoping for the best for all of yall and praying for the area. Not just for hunting but the land owners as well. Last year was a hard hit for everyone but we have faith it will turn around. Y’all be safe and holler if you ever need anything in the area!!

Comment

I’ve moved on also, but not far. In to see how things shake out for y'all.

Comment

Sonora / Sutton County 2020

I live on my place, so don’t have a choice. It’s STAY for me!!! It’s really greened up nicely with the recent rains. As far as I knew, I was not hit by the anthrax (3 miles east of town), but I’m not seeing nearly as many deer this year, and they are not devouring the protein like they did this time of year the last few years. We’ll see how things go as the year progresses. I really hope I see more axis this year!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just got back from a quick trip to fill feeders. Was very green there, but saw no deer which was odd even riding around at night. But corn under feeders was all gone and there is deer on cameras so I know they are somewhere in there.

Rafters feed store guys told me they already had 2 anthrax cases this year already in the area. Hoping that is not true. Anyone else hear this?

Comment

Originally posted by daniel044 View Post
                Just got back from a quick trip to fill feeders. Was very green there, but saw no deer which was odd even riding around at night. But corn under feeders was all gone and there is deer on cameras so I know they are somewhere in there.

Rafters feed store guys told me they already had 2 anthrax cases this year already in the area. Hoping that is not true. Anyone else hear this?

I got off my lease there but I still talk to the landowner. He told me a few weeks ago there was a pretty bad outbreak on the East side of the County.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                  I got off my lease there but I still talk to the landowner. He told me a few weeks ago there was a pretty bad outbreak on the East side of the County.
                  Wow that would be new territory for the disease. If its already starting this early then summer may be brutal for the outbreak.

Comment

We are here now. About 20 miles east of sonora. Turkeys are not cooperating very well. But did shoot a nice axis yesterday. They are here thick now. Super green, seeing normal amount of WT. the aoudad do not seem as thick as normal, but have seen a few. Except for turkey, things seem normal for us

Comment

Originally posted by daniel044 View Post
                      Wow that would be new territory for the disease. If its already starting this early then summer may be brutal for the outbreak.
                      It's a sad deal. After I got off of my lease the landowner threw a feeder up in my old spot hoping to sell a few aoudad hunts. I asked him a couple of weeks ago how many whitetail had showed up since I left in January and he said he's had a picture of 1 buck and 1 doe. This was a spot where I would normally be looking at 30-50 deer in 1 evening hunt. Bad deal all the way around.

Comment

Hey guys, went down to the lease to fill feeders this week. Place looks pretty decent and green but starting to get dry. Saw deer, turkeys and a couple javelina. We hunted a couple times and got close to sealing the deal on a turkey twice but just could not get him close enough. Decent activity on the cameras, nothing like it was the last few years but definitely better than it has been for sure. A heads up though there is a large wild fire burning south of us between Ozona and Sonora. May want to keep an eye on it if your down in that area.

Comment

Another person posted this last year but this site is a good place to keep a eye on where is wildfires

Wildfires affect America’s farms and ranches, damaging and destroying homes, barns, agriculture production facilities, crops and livestock. Much of this damage can be avoided, or at least minimized, if a few precautions are taken to minimize the risk and spread of wildfires. Wildfire Maps & Updates: Texas A&M Forest Service Fire Activity Map Texas A&M […]

Comment

just got home from our lease off 189 yesterday. Lease was nice and green. Had more deer on camera in the last 2 months than I did for all of last hunting season. More turkey than I've seen on any ranch I’ve been on.

Comment

We spent the weekend there as well (off 189). Saw the same thing on our game cameras too, all young bucks. Things are green and look good.

Comment

Here now and it’s getting dry! Did hammer a thunder chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X