Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
    Following

I once was told by mechanic that the peices get into block water jacket's. He took my entire power head apart to remove. So he said...I always thought BS.
    If it big chunks that break off they won't go into the block and you can usually find them in the water pump housing. If you find pieces try to account for them from the old impellor. I've been working on outboards for over 30 years and have only had one that I had to take down to dig out pieces. One rule of thumb I use is saltwater motors need water pump severe at least every 2 years. If for nothing else, to keep bolts from siezing up.

Comment

Impeller hadn’t been replaced in 5 years. Yes, I’m embarrassed for not doing it sooner. Basic maintenance.

There were no pieces in the housing so I hope that aren’t holes up in the engine. Also changed the oil in the lower as well.

Boat is kept in the boat house and since it would start to get hot I couldn’t get it out of the water. Could have towed it to the ramp with the jet ski but it’s too dang cold for me to do that. So I lowered the boat down, pushed it out of the slip, spun it around and pulled it in backwards. That way I could stand on the dock and work on it. Was still doing the work with the engine over the water. Didn’t drop any parts but was extremely careful.
      Attached Files

Comment

Changing each year is cheap insurance, easy and quick as long as the shift-shaft cooperates. The shift-shaft can be a pain on OMCs, not sure of the others.

Comment

Speaking of maintenance make sure to change your lift cables and lube the lift plate.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Southernhunters View Post
            That’ll do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Yepp

Comment

We change ours out once a year but we fish a lot .

Comment

I had been running a boat all weekend with no issues. Sunday morning we took it out and within 10 minutes of dang near idling out of the harbor, I got a high temp alarm. Got the boat back pier side, pulled the impeller housing cover, and found this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                  Every 1500 hours
                  I do every other or every third year...my 01 has 400 hours on it so every 1500 hours would be about every 40 years LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    My dad hasn't changed his in 20 years, crazy sucker ... but he never runs it dry or turns it over with out water flow...

I change mine every 4 or 5 years. Just watch your PSI, it'll let you know when it needs to be changed.
                    words of wisdom...…...always watch your pee stream.

Comment

Mine on my flounder boat lasted about 4 months but that is what I get for running in 4-5 inches of water

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                        Every 1500 hours
                        For most guys it'll dry rot before they ever see 1500 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                          For most guys it'll dry rot before they ever see 1500 hours.
                          Wasn’t thinking when I posted, lol
                          I’m not the norm

Comment

change mine out every year!

Comment

every 2 years on my 115

Comment

My old Evenrude got a piece of it lodged in the pickup tube when it came apart. Took me forever to get it cleared out.

Comment

Working...
                                X