No announcement yet.

Largest Black Bear Killed with Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you think your hunting rights are safe, take a gander at the comments on this same story on Fox News. It's 90% negative, with several people who call themselves "hunters" saying that bowhunting is cruel, that bear hunting should be banned, etc. This is on a conservative website.

Comment

Jersey has a lot of residential bears in area neighborhoods. They are trash eaters and most likely this was one of the "local" bears.

Comment

Coastal NC. has a lot of big bears and each year their is a 400#+ killed.
        Several big boys up to 825# come from there.
        Google Coastal NC. bears.
        I could kill a black bear almost every time I go hunting in the mountains of southwest VA. but I have no interest in killing one as I do not care for the taste.
        The bears I see are anywhere from 150# to 350#. We have them come in camp almost every time we camp in the remote areas. They love deer stew.

Comment

Bear for bownaza

Originally posted by 150class View Post
          Believe lots of folks eat bear. Black bear is bueno when fully cooked*
          If I ever harvest another bear , I will definitely be posting up a free bear meat post or I can hand deliver for team bear grease @ bownanza the meat is ok I probably didn’t cook it right

Comment

I ate a whole bear one winter in Montana, had breakfast sausage made, hamburger and smoked some. An Indian friend said it would make you go crazy but i am still here and he pretty much went crazy and got killed in his 30's.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
              that is a unit right there. they taste like butt though dont they? never heard of anyne eating bear. Hope he mounts it
              It really depends on the diet of the bear is what I was told. I have ate bear once in a stew, slow cooked and it was phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by ca1219 View Post
                It really depends on the diet of the bear is what I was told. I have ate bear once in a stew, slow cooked and it was phenomenal.
                It is very much what they've been eating. As a rule, coastal bears that have been eating fish are poor. Fall bears that have been feasting on berries are very good.

Comment

I had always heard bear was virtually inedible and greasy. That was till a buddy of mine cooked one in Quebec. It was fantastic and tasted like the best roast beef I ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
                    that is a unit right there. they taste like butt though dont they? never heard of anyne eating bear. Hope he mounts it
                    I have zero desire to kill a bear but I do find them fascinating. I used to have a guy and his wife from Canada who wintered in Alabama come over and hunt with me each deer season. I asked him this very question and he said they love the meat. He and his wife killed one each every year and ate them. Im still thinking hard pass myself.

Comment

Headed to Alaska in May and can’t wait. We will be hunting out of a 28 boat launching out of Whiiter. Hunting Mountauge Island.

Comment

That is one heck of a black bear!
                        As far as eating goes, I had one from a fall hunt that was delicious.
                        I was told, like others have stated, the taste depends on what they're feeding on at that time of year. Spring -not so good. Fall- good as long as they are not on the fish. If its a baited hunt find out what they're baiting with and keep that in find.

Comment

Working...
                        X