No announcement yet.

Welding Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO lace up shoes or boots!! Hard to get slag out of them fast.

Comment

G, which Lincoln 225 AC/DC did ya get him? I'll help ya/him out any way I can. "Neosporin Cream with Pain Relief" is good stuff for light burns. Also reduces scarring. Ice-water/cold water, is good for temp relieving bad ones. Make sure the tint on the hood lens is set properly for eye protection. I've had my eyes burnt more than a time or two. I once had both patched for 3 days. And wasn't allowed to weld for 30. (That was from running some 9/64ths Dual Shield at 224-226 amps for those wondering). Safety glasses are the best thing when grinding or working metal (other than goggles which make working almost impossible). I've also had plenty of metal pricked from my eyes in emergency rooms. There's nothing like watching that needle heading into your eye. Then having the E-tech dig around in the hole with something like a dentist drill, to make sure all the rust is out. I've got a lifetime of stories if ya want to hear them.

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
      Until that grinder with the cutting wheel on it catches a tail and slices your belly open. Shirts tucked in with leathers and you don't have to worry about it.
      Having a lifetime of welding, I've had my share of injuries.

I had that happen once, just once, with a 9" grinder. Learned my lesson. Layed open my diaphragm just below my ribs and sternum about 7". It burnt everything skin wise. And left some nasty dirt/grinding wheel dust in it. Took forever to heal. Oozed a whole lot for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
        Yepper…...
        Come on man.... Buy the kid some good steel.

Comment

He shouldn't have much chance of getting electrocuted. Shocked? Oh yeah, there will be some of that. He'll figure it out.

Comment

It is the Lincoln AC/DC Arc welder.

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
            G, which Lincoln 225 AC/DC did ya get him? I'll help ya/him out any way I can. "Neosporin Cream with Pain Relief" is good stuff for light burns. Also reduces scarring. Ice-water/cold water, is good for temp relieving bad ones. Make sure the tint on the hood lens is set properly for eye protection. I've had my eyes burnt more than a time or two. I once had both patched for 3 days. And wasn't allowed to weld for 30. (That was from running some 9/64ths Dual Shield at 224-226 amps for those wondering). Safety glasses are the best thing when grinding or working metal (other than goggles which make working almost impossible). I've also had plenty of metal pricked from my eyes in emergency rooms. There's nothing like watching that needle heading into your eye. Then having the E-tech dig around in the hole with something like a dentist drill, to make sure all the rust is out. I've got a lifetime of stories if ya want to hear them.

Having a lifetime of welding, I've had my share of injuries.

I had that happen once, just once, with a 9" grinder. Learned my lesson. Layed open my diaphragm just below my ribs and sternum about 7". It burnt everything skin wise. And left some nasty dirt/grinding wheel dust in it. Took forever to heal. Oozed a whole lot for a long time.

Comment

Never cut or grind on anything that contained fuel or petroleum products. When I learned to weld there was a young guy who tried to cut the top out of a drum that had contained grease with a torch.

Comment

Get him an old fashioned water bottle fire extinguisher. Not the turn upside down kind, but the compressed air kind. Fill with water and pressurize with compressed air. Get the 2.5 gallon size on Amazon. Puts out the little fires caused from welding/cutting without the mess of a chemical extinguisher. Has a range of about 40 feet and can be kept right next the welding project within easy reach. Refill with water and pressurize. Good to go again. I think this is the best investment for my projects I’ve made.

Have him learn the math of circles and angles, how to use a square to layout angles, and how to read blueprints. Things good to know to make a living as a fitter/welder.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelaggie View Post
                  You've got to do it right.

Set up an account at the cleaners so his shirts and jeans will stand in the corner from being heavily starched.

Get him 24 different welding caps so he can change at every "Little Debbie" break.

Get him 4 different pairs of "Pipeliner Special" glasses to wear under the hood.

Explain to him about the Safety man and how he already knows more and everything about safety and the Safety man is only there to get him run off the job.

And get him a case of magnum Trojans. He’ll be laying miles of pipe during the day and inches at night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X