No announcement yet.

Mechanical for Elk/Red deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't hardly reccomend a mechanical for elk size game. But if I was going to I'd say either the Sevr or one of the new rages like the trypans

Comment

5 bulls killed.

4 of those killed with a 100 grain 2 blade Rage type head (Gator XP) - none went more than 75 yards.

1 was killed with a 100 grain slick trick and had to track him over a mile.

I shoot a slow bow and have never had a problem with penetration with a 100 Rage type head grain head.

I'll never go back to a fixed head.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        5 bulls killed.

4 of those killed with a 100 grain 2 blade Rage type head (Gator XP) - none went more than 75 yards.

1 was killed with a 100 grain slick trick and had to track him over a mile.

I shoot a slow bow and have never had a problem with penetration with a 100 Rage type head grain head.

I'll never go back to a fixed head.

I just have more confidence in mechanical heads. Every animal I have shot with a mechanical ( not a ton of animals but prolly around 10 animals ) have died quickly even when shot placement has been marginal.

The only animal I have personally seen shot with a fixed head was a good shot but still ran further than expected. No doubt a fixed blade works but I just like the bigger cutting diameter and accuracy afforded by mechanicals.

The only reason i'm considering the rage is I do believe a slip cam design will penetrate more than a over the top design. I've always shot Rocket Sidewinders and Wasp Jackhammers

Comment

I used a Rage 2 blade on both of them

Gary

Comment

Working...
          X