No announcement yet.

Fixed wireless internet . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad hatter came by yesterday . . Line of sight systems will not work . . Looks like my best option is OTR . . In the process of acquiring the Netgear Nighthawk . . I do get 2-3 bars inside the house . . Get it, test it and fire exede . .

#fillthepipeline

Comment

Fixed wireless internet . .

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
      Mad hatter came by yesterday . . Line of sight systems will not work . . Looks like my best option is OTR . . In the process of acquiring the Netgear Nighthawk . . I do get 2-3 bars inside the house . . Get it, test it and fire exede . .

#fillthepipeline

Third quarter of this year, SpaceX’s Starlink constellation should go online. You may look at that.
      They are LEO says, so 1/4-1/3 the altitude of your standard geosynchronous internet sats.

Prices aren’t reported yet, but they are already showing low latency, high speed possibilities with the satellites currently in orbit. They had a contract with the Air Force to explore providing service directly to aircraft in flight. Even with only the first 60 satellites launched in a beta phase, they achieved low latency 200mb upload and download on a C130 at cruise altitude/speed.

They have already said that North America will be their first region to service, and are still claiming 2020 as the start time frame.

Might be worth looking at when it they start service...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
        I just talked with someone at OTR and they don't have any because of their shipments being held up from china due to the coronavirus. Recommended buying thenighthawk from amazon or best buy and then getting the bring your own device package from them

Any issues with longevity of keeping this hotspot plugged to constant power?

Also would running a WiFi booster off this help throw coverage? House is around 2800 sq ft.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
          Third quarter of this year, SpaceX’s Starlink constellation should go online. You may look at that.
          They are LEO says, so 1/4-1/3 the altitude of your standard geosynchronous internet sats.

Prices aren’t reported yet, but they are already showing low latency, high speed possibilities with the satellites currently in orbit. They had a contract with the Air Force to explore providing service directly to aircraft in flight. Even with only the first 60 satellites launched in a beta phase, they achieved low latency 200mb upload and download on a C130 at cruise altitude/speed.

They have already said that North America will be their first region to service, and are still claiming 2020 as the start time frame.

Might be worth looking at when it they start service...

I wasn't going to bring Starlink up but they will own the internet if and when they get off the ground. I have multiple friends that work at SpaceX, Starlink, Relativity etc and was in California last week for looking at #D Printers and hanging with uber smart guys I had no business being with. I spent 30 minutes discussing Starlink. It will be amazing but they are still a ways out from having it ready for the public. They were giving me some of the same dates at you posted(Late 2020) but I am skeptical. I say that as they dont even know how the what the satellite will look and install. Will it take an installer or can the CREATE a satellite dish that auto adjust to to satellite in sky. IE they have a ton of leg work to be done and I am not sure they get there as fast as they think. I was excited and disappointed all at the same time. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
            Guess I need a tower then.
            We got use to seeing our tower fairly quick. Now we do not even notice it. No complaints so far.

-john

Comment

Does anyone live near Streetman on Richland Chambers? The wife and I just bought a house on four acres out there and need to get the best internet possible. We will temporarily be using Windstream DSL only because that is what the previous owners were using. But I’m afraid it isn’t going to suit our needs. Any help on what someone out here is using would be great. Thanks!

Comment

a lot of county roads have buried fiber optic lines now. I had them run the 900' from the road to my house I just had to sign a 5 year contract.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanblock View Post
                  Any issues with longevity of keeping this hotspot plugged to constant power?

Also would running a WiFi booster off this help throw coverage? House is around 2800 sq ft.

I've only had mine for right at a month, but I'd recommend removing the battery if plugging to constant power. Other than that I didn't see any reported issues with longevity when I was researching it.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

I’ve had OTR for several months now. I do not have a router or any other type of booster. I just run off the NightHawk. It runs my phone, MacBook, and TV all at the same time with absolutely no issues. The NightHawk usually stays in the kitchen window area. I only have ~2 bars of service normally on the NightHawk and I stream just fine with it. There is never any buffering or delay. I keep YouTube or Netflix going pretty much the entire time I’m home. I’m sure I could get an external antenna or booster, but I see no reason to throw money at a problem that hasn’t caused me any trouble yet. As long as I have 2 bars, it works perfectly.

Comment

What kind of wifi range does the nighthawk have?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                        I wasn't going to bring Starlink up but they will own the internet if and when they get off the ground. I have multiple friends that work at SpaceX, Starlink, Relativity etc and was in California last week for looking at #D Printers and hanging with uber smart guys I had no business being with. I spent 30 minutes discussing Starlink. It will be amazing but they are still a ways out from having it ready for the public. They were giving me some of the same dates at you posted(Late 2020) but I am skeptical. I say that as they dont even know how the what the satellite will look and install. Will it take an installer or can the CREATE a satellite dish that auto adjust to to satellite in sky. IE they have a ton of leg work to be done and I am not sure they get there as fast as they think. I was excited and disappointed all at the same time. I hope I am wrong.

Elon has discussed that the ground connection is a flying saucer looking antenna about the size of a pizza box. Pretty sure they already have them engineered, but I don’t know if it is launch ready yet.

SpaceX has a total of 22 separate 60-satellite launches scheduled for this year, which will put them at 1,400+ sats by the end of the year. I think they will definitely be close to that 3rd or 4th quarter 2020.
                        If not that, early 2021 at the latest I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                          Elon has discussed that the ground connection is a flying saucer looking antenna about the size of a pizza box. Pretty sure they already have them engineered, but I don’t know if it is launch ready yet.

SpaceX has a total of 22 separate 60-satellite launches scheduled for this year, which will put them at 1,400+ sats by the end of the year. I think they will definitely be close to that 3rd or 4th quarter 2020.
                          If not that, early 2021 at the latest I would think.

The satellites weren't my concern. I know what Elon said but from one of the guys running the program they as of last week didnt have a final design on anything on the end user side. So not only is it not designed they aren't in production. They also still didnt have any idea if they were going to sell or rent the equipment. Didnt have a clue what it was going to cost because they didnt have a final design.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                            Does anyone live near Streetman on Richland Chambers? The wife and I just bought a house on four acres out there and need to get the best internet possible. We will temporarily be using Windstream DSL only because that is what the previous owners were using. But I’m afraid it isn’t going to suit our needs. Any help on what someone out here is using would be great. Thanks!
                            I live North of RC Lake. no fiber optics in my area. Hopefully you have some near Streetman.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              I've only had mine for right at a month, but I'd recommend removing the battery if plugging to constant power. Other than that I didn't see any reported issues with longevity when I was researching it.
                              Why do you recommend removing the battery if you're plugging in to constant power?

We have a Nighthawk plugged in to a battery backup at the farm because we lose power there often. Ours is a device on our shared mobile plan but we're only using ours for an alarm system and watching tv one or two nights a month while we're there. We bought the Weboost 4G several years ago because we went with radiant barrier when we built the house so like you, we don't have a signal in the house without a booster. I think our antenna is about 20' in the air. It'll go higher but we have signal and I didn't want to have to use guide wires.

Comment

Seems like all the sim cards have dried up.

OTR doesn't have a "sign up" page or devices any more.
                                Netbuddy is " at their limit" as are a couple of others.

Comment

Working...
                                X