2020 catfish thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
    Cool. I was just curious. I just started fishing it this year but down around West Columbia. Loaded up with blues, found a few yellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My new stomping grounds as well. So far mainly all channels. 3-5lbs

Comment

You guys that use live perch for bait, is there a preference in size of the perch? I havent had any luck using the bigger perch at all is why Im asking. Ive caught a few blues on some smaller perch though. Actually Im on a 900 acre private lake so I used some small crappie with success.

Comment

No perch is to big if fishing for yellas!

Comment

Here some pics from the last few days on Conroe. These are from the past 3 days.
          Attached Files

Comment

Not many. But hope to get some more in the morning trotline run.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
              You guys that use live perch for bait, is there a preference in size of the perch? I havent had any luck using the bigger perch at all is why Im asking. Ive caught a few blues on some smaller perch though. Actually Im on a 900 acre private lake so I used some small crappie with success.

I like them 3-4 inches. That seems the happy medium to catch the big yellas if one is there but also catch the smaller yellas or blues if one is not. You can catch big fish on big bait but not if he’s not there

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
                I like them 3-4 inches. That seems the happy medium to catch the big yellas if one is there but also catch the smaller yellas or blues if one is not. You can catch big fish on big bait but not if he’s not there

Thanks, that is what I was kind of starting to think. The 12 lb blue I caught was on one of the two smallest crappie I had put out. The bigger ones were all untouched and I unhooked them and they swam away the next morning. I think I'll start using some smaller perch than I have been using to see if it brings in more fish.

Comment

Weekend

Had some luck this weekend in the San Saba River.

All caught on trot lines using live perch and cut bait.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                    Thanks, that is what I was kind of starting to think. The 12 lb blue I caught was on one of the two smallest crappie I had put out. The bigger ones were all untouched and I unhooked them and they swam away the next morning. I think I'll start using some smaller perch than I have been using to see if it brings in more fish.

Comment

You guys who trotline the live perch....how often do you pull it up with some nice largemouth on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        You guys who trotline the live perch....how often do you pull it up with some nice largemouth on them?

Been trotlining over 50 years... I can recall it happening twice.

Comment

We caught a nice two years ago on Buchanan, she was almost nine pounds, happy to say we released her alive and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I quit using them years ago because all I was catching on them was big bass. They would all be hooked in the corner of the mouth so they were released alive and well. Most were in the 4-6lb range with the biggest being 8.5 lbs. So far this year, Ive been trying them again and havent caught any bass on them. Maybe because Ive been fishing deeper water and most of the bass seem to be up shallow right now.

Comment

I never have. Here are the two big ones from last weekend.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                                I never have. Here are the two big ones from last weekend.

A giant!

Comment

Working...
                                X