No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My brother-in-law and I have 8 swarm traps out and have already caught 9 swarms! Bees have been super busy this early spring.
    We went into winter with 31 hives, only lost 1, and up to 39 now! We've got a bunch of hybrid africanized bees in our area, so we usually let them
    get the new hive built out as they are hard workers, then re-queen later to calm them down a bit.

Comment

I caught a swarm last week, put the Queen in a clip. Got them situated in a hive. Checked them 2 days later, bees were gone and they had killed the Queen. Have yall had that happen, how would that be prevented?

Comment

Originally posted by Mission408 View Post
        Buying some boxes in 2 weeks, then starting to get into beekeeping. Gonna find a local club/class/mentor in Johnson county to get rollin.
        There is a meeting tonight in burleson for thr Chisholm trail beekeepers.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          I caught a swarm last week, put the Queen in a clip. Got them situated in a hive. Checked them 2 days later, bees were gone and they had killed the Queen. Have yall had that happen, how would that be prevented?
          Not seen that or heard of a hive killing their queen.
          My best guess is that you damaged the queen in the clip.

Comment

I got 400 bee boxes on my property in Freer I'm just waiting on my honey

Comment

Hope to be adding 2 more hives soon and requeening a hive this year!

Comment

Originally posted by dxtbowhunter View Post

There is a meeting tonight in burleson for thr Chisholm trail beekeepers.
                Dang just saw this! I'll look them up tho

Comment

Originally posted by DEADEYE1 View Post
                  I got 400 bee boxes on my property in Freer I'm just waiting on my honey
                  What's the manpower look like that's needed to keep up with all that?

Comment

Dang just saw this! I'll look them up tho
                    We meet every last Monday of the month. There is usually 20 to 30 people. Look us up on face book if you have it.

Comment

The (Texas) Bee Supply called late yesterday to say that they found some Carnolian queens (I had previously been told to expect a swap to Italian queens on April 12th after last Friday's queens died somehow).
                      I got my queens without any nurse/helper bees today. First time; usually have some bees serving the queen, not today, just the queens.
                      Found 50% of the old queens this evening in the hives. Wish I had been told about a day in advance, oh well.
                      I did find quite a few populated queen cells this evening ! So, my really strong hive was ready to swarm (maybe the old queen had already left which is why I didn't find her? Maybe).
                      Putting in the new queens tomorrow... always, fingers crossed.

Comment

Dammit...
                        See above, brought the queens home (WITHOUT attendants !), put a drop of water and a drop of honey on the outside of their plastic cages, then put them in a warm, dry, dark closet.
                        Snuffed out the queens in my hives yesterday afternoon.
                        This morning at 7AM....... yep, no signs of life from the new queens in their cages.

I am so super-disappointed in The Bee Supply.
                        1) The 2 people at the Round Rock store have a LONG way to go to learn 'customer service'.
                        2) I've never gotten queens without attendants in the box with them.
                        3) The Bee Supply cleverly makes you sign a paper that whatever happens to the queens after they leave the store...

Comment

What's the manpower look like that's needed to keep up with all that?
                          Man I have no idea.It's a buddy of mines "guy". I do know it took them over 10 hours just to put the boxes out on pallets and they had several people.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-R View Post
                            Dammit...
                            See above, brought the queens home (WITHOUT attendants !), put a drop of water and a drop of honey on the outside of their plastic cages, then put them in a warm, dry, dark closet.
                            Snuffed out the queens in my hives yesterday afternoon.
                            This morning at 7AM....... yep, no signs of life from the new queens in their cages.

I am so super-disappointed in The Bee Supply.
                            1) The 2 people at the Round Rock store have a LONG way to go to learn 'customer service'.
                            2) I've never gotten queens without attendants in the box with them.
                            3) The Bee Supply cleverly makes you sign a paper that whatever happens to the queens after they leave the store...
                            Man I’m sorry to hear that and you’re really making me nervous. My replacement Italian queens are supposed to be ready for pickup in a week. I did not get the “we found some carniolans” call and I think I’m glad I didn’t. I’m still afraid to pinch my old queen until I have the new ones in my possession.

Comment

Gonna pick up 6 hives next week and order 4 nucs. Also found a wild hive on my place. May look into robbing it and get them in a box. Any suggestions on type of bee suit? Smoker? Going to be ordering stuff in the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                                Gonna pick up 6 hives next week and order 4 nucs. Also found a wild hive on my place. May look into robbing it and get them in a box. Any suggestions on type of bee suit? Smoker? Going to be ordering stuff in the next few days.
                                I have a full ventilated suit. I wear the dishwashing gloves that you can get at a grocery store on my hands and rubber boots on my feet. Any smoker will do, just learn how to light it and keep it lit. A forced abscond is pretty difficult to do on a established hive, but please keep us updated on progress/questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X