No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horsemint nectar flow has been good this year. Pulled 85 gallons the first round, should finish north of a hundred.

Comment

Long shot but thought I’d have the best chance to ask here. Bunch of bees just made themselves home at a neighbors house near the roof. Anyone near Waxahachie that maybe interested in helping relocate the bees or provide that service?

Comment

Some good looking stuff!

I lost count of the number of swarms I’ve caught this year. I relocated 3 last night to my yard and apparently they had been sitting too long. Two of them were about 30 lbs and one is probably north of 50 lbs. So I’ll be doing some serious cutouts today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I also use deeps for swarm traps but fill with frames, 1 empty brood frame if available and maybe a frame of foundation rest empty frames with wire maybe starter strips. I even put in medium frames in between deeps but fill with frames so then can be in no hurry to grab trap. As far as bringing wet honey to your apiary I did same last week from a fallen hollow log filled with a bee hive. Cut out comb rubber banded into frames and hived them in my yard BAD ROOKIE MISTAKE! Bees cleaned up honey in log then got HONEY WILD and started to rob out hives totally killing the new hive and going after weaker new hives. Should have done some but at a distant farm miles away from my apiary. So far haven't lost any more hives and put on some robbing screens LIVE AND LEARN!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
            Question, how do y’all kill anthills in the area around your hives? If I pour properly diluted bifen directly on a hill 25-30 yards away from the hive do I risk affecting them? Anything different that is suggested?

The hive is doing great and the last thing I want to do make a mistake with pesticides.
            Try Boric Acid

Comment

Is it too late in the year to get a nuc/hive started? If anyone within a not too long drive from centerville has something, let me know.

We had ordered another nuc after ours left last year (i knocked over the hive and I think the queen died...long story). But they never called to say come pick up your bees and we got busy with a house build and other life things.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                Is it too late in the year to get a nuc/hive started? If anyone within a not too long drive from centerville has something, let me know.

We had ordered another nuc after ours left last year (i knocked over the hive and I think the queen died...long story). But they never called to say come pick up your bees and we got busy with a house build and other life things.
                It’s not too late to get one started, finding one is going to be a problem though. We made 3000 nucs last July and put mated queens in all of them and had good success even with the horrible drought.

I’m sure you can find something online, but probably not within an hour of Centerville.

Comment

Question, how do y’all kill anthills in the area around your hives? If I pour properly diluted bifen directly on a hill 25-30 yards away from the hive do I risk affecting them? Anything different that is suggested?

The hive is doing great and the last thing I want to do make a mistake with pesticides.
                  Be careful !
                  I lost all of mine, due to putting Diatomaceous earth on the ground at the posts for my hive.
                  Hoping to reboot again soon.

Comment

If anyone near DFW has a Nuc for sale, I’d love to hear about it.
                    Afraid it’s too late, to trap another wild swarm.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

No its not to late as long as there is something they can forage on. Grass, fruit trees, weeds, wildflowers. If youre in the city or close pastures you should have no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                          Be careful !
                          I lost all of mine, due to putting Diatomaceous earth on the ground at the posts for my hive.
                          Hoping to reboot again soon.
                          That’s what I’m nervous about. Thanks for the input

Comment

This is where I got mine in spring. They have a summer batch now.

We have beekeeping supplies, bee suits, and queen bees for sale. Take a virtual beekeeping class or browse our store.

Comment

This is where I got mine in spring. They have a summer batch now.

https://thebeesupply.com/collections...unmarked-queen
                              Thanks. That's where we got our original hive in Dayton.

Comment

New Beekeeper here. Just got my first two hives. The nucs are doing fine and very active. One of the frames from the breeders box has a broken top rail that prevents it from hanging on once side.
                                Questions:
                                Should I figure out a way to fix the rail OR is there a way to decommission the old rail (full of comb) and transfer the comb to a new frame?

Comment

Working...
                                X