No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to transfer from my trap to my hive soon !
    What time of day should I do this for best results ?
    Google says first light or right at dark. What is y’all’s experience with this ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
      New at bee keeping and luckily have a great mentor/friend. I bought insulted boxes. Bought three active hives and split them the day I brought them home. Two months in and I have six thriving hives. Already had to add supers to two of then. Super cool stuff!

Buddy and I partnered with the ag program at the high school. Established a bee keeping club with my yard as the 'lab'. We're just getting up and running.

Maroon/gold. Dripping Springs Tigers.

Last week I couldn't help but rob just a few spoonfuls.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
      These hives are awesome !
      And totally affordable, wish I’d seen before I bought all of my components.

Comment

Any of you around Spring Branch? I have been thinking about getting into it but have no idea what I'm doing. How hard/time-consuming is the process of getting the honey out of the hive and into jars that are ready to eat?

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
          Going to transfer from my trap to my hive soon !
          What time of day should I do this for best results ?
          Google says first light or right at dark. What is y’all’s experience with this ?
          I would do first light or dusk, like you said. Make sure you get the queen into the new hive.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
            Any of you around Spring Branch? I have been thinking about getting into it but have no idea what I'm doing. How hard/time-consuming is the process of getting the honey out of the hive and into jars that are ready to eat?
            That’s the easiest part. Keeping them alive/thriving is the hard part. Anyone can have happy bees this time of the year. It’s the other 8-9 months that’s the chore.

Comment

I’ve got a bunch of old boxes if someone wants them. Some are rotten and total junk. Some are just a little too banged up to be getting shipped all over the country but would be perfect for a hobbyist that isn’t moving boxes often. Come take as many as you want. In Winnie.
              Attached Files

Comment

I can hang onto them until mid next week but then they are getting torched.

Comment

Well Crud !
                  That did t go as well as I hoped for.
                  They had already built down on the frames in the trap. Had to break off a lot of brood comb on bottom of each frame, to insert into new deep body brooder. Way too much chaos and upset bees, to tell where the queen was. Hoping she is in new box. Def a clustered mess.
                  They just lost 60% of their hive and brood. Wasn’t sure what to do, so cleared the bees and threw excess away. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
                    I’ve got a bunch of old boxes if someone wants them. Some are rotten and total junk. Some are just a little too banged up to be getting shipped all over the country but would be perfect for a hobbyist that isn’t moving boxes often. Come take as many as you want. In Winnie.

Man. You’re too far from me. 199 miles to Winnie. I’d take em and rip down to mediums, good coat of paint and they’d live at my place for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                      Well Crud !
                      That did t go as well as I hoped for.
                      They had already built down on the frames in the trap. Had to break off a lot of brood comb on bottom of each frame, to insert into new deep body brooder. Way too much chaos and upset bees, to tell where the queen was. Hoping she is in new box. Def a clustered mess.
                      They just lost 60% of their hive and brood. Wasn’t sure what to do, so cleared the bees and threw excess away. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Check back with them in a few days and looks for fresh eggs/larva.
                      Sometimes it’s chaos.
                      I got in a triple deep hive the other day. They were furious. Ended up leaving and coming back later to split them three ways. Hopefully chill them out with new queens.

Comment

I’ve got bees going in and out of my wall. We noticed them this morning so I’m thinking they came in yesterday before the storms or this morning. I’m in north Fort Worth almost Keller if someone wants to try and come get them without tearing up my wall ��

Comment

We have an insane mount of blooming flowers on our six acres. The amount planted in a dozen or so flower beds should keep them going. Also have a good amount of wild flowers I've worked to establish the last few years. I even went so far as letting the thistle on the back side of my place rock and roll. (used to kill them ALL with great pleasure). My vegetable garden includes 35 flowering cantaloupe and cuke vines.

HOWEVER, I have not seen more than one or two honey bees on ANY of my flowers. It is the strangest thing. They are all within 100 or 150 yards of the hives. When I watch the bees fly into the hive, their little bee legs are covered with intensely, bright orange pollen. I have no idea what it is or where they're getting it. I cannot wait to have A&M run a test on my honey and see what they're making it from.

Who do you have to talk to to get honey tested at A&M?

Comment

I'm really not sure. I'm a newbie. I know several people around here that have it done. I'll have to ask.

Comment

I'm two months in with six hives now (after splitting). My mentor in the beginning told me not to count on a harvest this first year. Looks like I'm getting lucky. Two weeks ago I added supers to 3 boxes that we're getting too full. After hive check last Thursday, I knew I needed at least four more supers. Rain and life got in the way over the weekend. In that short time, they covered the underside of three lids. Scraped it all off, added the supers, and now need to go get more.

It is a real treat to get honey like this just from cleaning lids!

Comment

I'm two months in with six hives now (after splitting). My mentor in the beginning told me not to count on a harvest this first year. Looks like I'm getting lucky. Two weeks ago I added supers to 3 boxes that we're getting too full. After hive check last Thursday, I knew I needed at least four more supers. Rain and life got in the way over the weekend. In that short time, they covered the underside of three lids. Scraped it all off, added the supers, and now need to go get more.

It is a real treat to get honey like this just from cleaning lids!

Good stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X