Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have 5 hives in north central Arkansas. One of the problems we have up here is bears. You need an electric fence and don't cheap out on the charger.
    Here is a free online beekeeper course. https://www.uaex.uada.edu/farm-ranch...ortcourse.aspx

Comment

Went through the 3 hives I have at my house, 2 look great! Honey, brood, lots of bees. The third one looks pretty weak. A little brood. Found the Queen in 2 hives. Looks good so far, if I can get a split or 2

Comment

Time to subscribe to this thread, bees are ordered and I pick up a hive in April!

Comment

Awesome! Welcome the wonderful, amazing, rewarding, frustrating, world of beekeeping.

Comment

What are y’all using to trap swarms in a 10 frame deep box?

Comment

Gonna keep an eye on this thread this year as I contemplate it for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
                Anyone in the Spring area want to come collect some bees out of my brick overhang? Noticed the. At the end of last year and they are just now becoming active again.
                Hey, get yourself a hivebox, do the recovery yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TRH View Post
                  Gonna keep an eye on this thread this year as I contemplate it for next year.

Me too. I had a large hive removed from an old barn. They aren’t back in the barn but I have bees everywhere trying to get into everything. Wondering if putting out some huge boxes would give them a place to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Last year up north here in Maryland my first year bee trapping caught 14 swarms. First one was Easter Sunday and was a ball swarm on a branch but rest came to my boxes. 12 in single used deep langstroth boxes placed in deer stands off back of my pickup or low ladder stands. 1 was in a 5 frame tall swarm trap as most see on YouTube. Only one swarm came from my beeyard that was in September and they absconded after a month leaving hatching brood behind go figure what bees are gonna do. Langs were old used boxes some even duck taped up with solid bottom boards and reduced entrances like 2-3 inches. Inside was 1 old brood frame some with wax moth damage another drawn frame or partial frame or wax foundation then 7or 8 empty wired frames. I didn't wire some last year and they drew them out but then comb wanted to fall out during hot summer inspections. Threw in some propolis scrapings and a squirt of Swarm Commander on a QTip DON'T USE ALOT! Heard Bob Walker makes a good swarm attractant Swarm Rustler I think may try some this year. Now I have like 10 beekeepers with 10 miles of me and feral bees in trees(2 bee trees with 2 miles) and old houses so target rich environment which prob led to my success. Go set traps where you or others have seen swarms or even good number of bees foraging. Now when I come down to Jack County in April on a hog hunt may set a swarm trap up on the ranch any BEEKS on here from over that way?
                    Mr Ed posted a swarm video recently with some good info.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqwdKDGDHek"]Increase your chances of catching a swarm of bees. Techniques revealed. - YouTube[/ame]
                    Last edited by MdStrutnRut; 02-27-2023, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Well it’s official. I lost 5 of 14 hives over the freeze. Every one of them to the cold, not resources, they simply didn’t have the numbers to reach critical mass. I believe it was a combination of my apathy towards V-Mites and too optimistic on each colony’s numbers. Lesson learned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

swarm trap, 10 frame deep box with 1 frame of old drawn comb and a q tip with lemon grass oil in the swarm trap, we catch quite a few every year.

Comment

If anyone needs queen cells for splits let me know. I should have anywhere from 1-300 extras every day from here to the first week of April. Located in Winnie.

Comment

Houston Bee Removal came out and took care of my problem. Very professional.
                            Attached Files

Comment

^^^ the guys that do professional removals in brick are incredibly talented.

Comment

That’s a cool looking brood pattern. Looks like a Doppler radar view of a hurricane

Comment

Working...
                                X