No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 46 hives. Whole lot of work. Tallow did not produce this spring but thankfully the goldenrod is starting up. They can take care of their selves for a little bit.

Comment

How's the bees

Well how was your guys/gals season down there? Still in my first year up here in Maryland going into my winter with 8 hives. All from 14 swarms, some late ones had to combine, 2 swarms absconded after a month and building comb 1 even had brood. 4 have strong double deeps like 7-8 frames of resources in top deep. 2 medium strong with 5 or so frames of resources in top deep then 2 hives with little to none resources in 1 deep. Put sugar bricks on top of frames in all and looking into fondant maybe HIVE ALIVE especially on 2 very weak ones. Local bee club members tell me be prepared to lose at least 1/2 of my hives over winter. Did Formic Pro mite treatment on 2 hives and dribble oxalic acid on all in November so hope mites aren't terrible but didn't test after dribble. Just a backyard hobby guy not wanting to go commercial so 3-5 hives for some honey and splits would be great for me this spring. Will try and build a horizontal langstroth this winter for fun any one down there have one? Did get tired of sweating (HOT and HUMID in summer here near coast of MD ) and getting stung often so got an early visit from Santa- Guardian full suit with round hat veil and came with 16 oz of DIRTROOSTER honey NICE! Hope all are ready for winter and have an AWESOME CHRISTMAS and HUNT SEASON!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MdStrutnRut View Post
        Well how was your guys/gals season down there? Still in my first year up here in Maryland going into my winter with 8 hives. All from 14 swarms, some late ones had to combine, 2 swarms absconded after a month and building comb 1 even had brood. 4 have strong double deeps like 7-8 frames of resources in top deep. 2 medium strong with 5 or so frames of resources in top deep then 2 hives with little to none resources in 1 deep. Put sugar bricks on top of frames in all and looking into fondant maybe HIVE ALIVE especially on 2 very weak ones. Local bee club members tell me be prepared to lose at least 1/2 of my hives over winter. Did Formic Pro mite treatment on 2 hives and dribble oxalic acid on all in November so hope mites aren't terrible but didn't test after dribble. Just a backyard hobby guy not wanting to go commercial so 3-5 hives for some honey and splits would be great for me this spring. Will try and build a horizontal langstroth this winter for fun any one down there have one? Did get tired of sweating (HOT and HUMID in summer here near coast of MD ) and getting stung often so got an early visit from Santa- Guardian full suit with round hat veil and came with 16 oz of DIRTROOSTER honey NICE! Hope all are ready for winter and have an AWESOME CHRISTMAS and HUNT SEASON!
        I ordered the guardian pants and got the honey. It is really good

Comment

Spring is right around the corner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When should one put out catch traps and hives?

Last year was a bust with zero flowers (first time I've ever seen zero). This year should have plenty of bees all over the ranch. I'd like to try and catch a swarm.

Comment

Last year was my 1st year and I put up three swarm traps in late April not expecting to catch anything as I thought that was too late. Bam caught a swarm within a week. That's the only one I caught. That hive is doing well so far. Going to put swarm traps out at the end of February and see what happens.

Comment

All my bees died over this last freeze . Not sure if I’m going to start over or not .

Comment

lot of bees out today, covering up large vines that were starting to bloom.

Comment

Any Africanized bees near Bowie

Was thinking about setting up a swarm box (10 frame deep) on kids lease in Jack county. Last spring plentiful bees seen on wildflowers and flowering trees. Any Africanized bees in that area to worry about. Not bringing bees down there or taking any out of state so not positive but don't think I need a permit. On another note up here in Maryland lost my weakest hive just before Christmas so 7 left. Had ordered HiveAlive fondant and soon as came in rushed to put them on before that cold blast but too late it had starved/froze to death. Had put on mountain camp sugar but was all gone on the weak hive, my bad for not checking sooner. Made some sugar bricks to add to fondant just in case. Looks like will try and catch more swarms and try a split or 2 if any survive. Also been feeding dry pollen sub in an open feeder suspect some brood starting up we'll see what makes it thru to spring. Recently attended meetings at 3 bee clubs near me in Maryland, Delaware and Virginia Eastern Shore reports from backyard beeks are losses from 10-100% so far so many unhappy faces.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by MdStrutnRut; 02-05-2023, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Lost 5 hives to the Arctic freeze. So Im down to 4.

Comment

I lost three I believe. I need to get out in the bee yard and go through them all. Mows the time to start getting those swarm traps
                        ready. I’d get them out early March just because. I caught 5 swarms the first week of April last years and 12 for the season.

Comment

Checked out all the hives today. Lost zero so far and all seem to be doing well. I left plenty of honey and a sugar brick on top for safety.

I caught 8ish swarms last year. It’s a learning process. March to September or so with most happening in April/May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

check your hives, their pantry is getting low this time of year, in the past if we lost hives it was in February due to starvation. Agree with Biggs about trapping, We put our traps out in March but April and May are good months. We have been doing this awhile, we get a call a day in the Spring to come get bees.

Comment

Anyone have some old frames with comb they'd be willing to part with? Between Corpus and San Saba? My daughter will be driving up here tomorrow.

Comment

Anyone in the Spring area want to come collect some bees out of my brick overhang? Noticed the. At the end of last year and they are just now becoming active again.

Comment

Working...
                                X