No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talked to some guys around me that put swarm traps on the ground on blocks. I found some a guy that had a couple old deep boxes and frames some with comb. I'm thinking setting up a 10 frame deep as a swarm trap. Alternate frames with used plastic foundation between old empty frames with an old drawn comb in middle. I'm afraid of wax moths that are prevalent in my area due to evidence in the used equipment I've been given have frozen frames. May skip the old comb in middle since box is used with propolis and used frames. I'll back up my pickup to a tree and put box on a section of ladder stand at a comfortable height to remove.

Comment

We have located our hives in a couple of different locations as to spread them out some. Lake Athens and Brushycreek. Ferg is correct, find a local bee club. It will certainly cut down on the learning curve. Lots of the guys are super helpful and will always take time to help out. Our hives are all getting ready to explode so we put out swarm traps this weekend with some lemon grass spray, the forage bees found it within 5 mins. We are also adding boxes now to give them more room in an attempt to prevent swarming. Only lost one hive over the winter but the others will provide plenty to do splits with.
      Great thread, glad to see so many people interested.

Comment

Any bee keepers in the Frisco area? We have a hive in our construction trailer I’m willing to give to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Best way to prevent or reduce the chance of mites in a hive?

Getting our first hive in April. Wife is obsessed with mites.
          I have yet to try it, but...

There is a lot of information out there regarding using some essential oil products, specifically Spearmint, Wintergreen, and Tea Tree oils. I believe these are more supposed to be used as preventative than a treatment.

One particular "old-timer" that's pretty popular on YouTube by the name of Don the Fat Bee Man. He's got quite a few things out there in the organic beekeeping realm. Several of his videos show how to make up a mixture of a few things to be added to the sugar syrup when feeding. (https://fatbeeman.com/)

Another thing I've seen recently, that seems easy enough that I might give it a try this year is a mixture of Crisco, Eucalyptus, and some food coloring. It's something like 1Tbs. Eucalyptys to 1 Lb Crisco, then a few drops of food coloring to mix in to help you tell when it's fully mixed. Apply about 1 Tbs to the bottom board.

Comment

Apivar in the fall
            MAQS in the spring

Comment

I watched this video and immediately thought about this thread. Wondering if anybody else has watched it?

While I may not agree with all his view points, he does seem to have some interesting ideas.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ItlOFLTUAs&list=WL&index=15"]Bottle-to-Bottle Honey Production | Contactless Beekeeping - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I tried it. 4-5 hives. Lots of work. Hard for me to get them to thrive. But now after having given up, not a warm day goes by where I don’t see bees buzzing around my cabin. So something good has happened. Was ever about the honey. More to try and help the environment. So hopeful they’ve taken up in some hollow trees.

Comment

I wish, I could run some hives.....
                  But one sting... And I face plant, right where I'm standing..
                  Epi pen is never far away..

Comment

Originally posted by Box-R View Post
                    I have never worried about mites and don't medicate for them.
                    The answer is "get mite-resistant bees".
                    My bees are a bit aggressive, but they make a lot of honey and they aren't bothered by mites, so it is a trade-off there.
                    A good passive defense for mites is a screened bottom board with some sticky paper under.
                    Same here. Mites and beetles, I usually dont worry about. Weather on the other hand. I have lost 4 hives to freezing weather this year. Worst year of my short beekeeping career.

Comment

I put out two swarm traps and my hive Thursday and Friday.

Today I was working by the hive and it had 7-10 bees going in/out it. Must be eating the honey I put inside. Odds they make a home there this fast?

Haven't checked the swarm boxes. Will give them a few weeks.

Comment

I'm pretty good. I can kill bees before I even have a hive.

There's about 50 dead bees now in the new bee hive I put up and no lives ones. What could cause this?

Comment

Put up first swarm trap today it's a deep with 1 drawn frame in middle and rest empty used frames no foundation, friend gave me 5 drawn frames from last year. Put in a vile of swarm lure in box and sprayed entrance also a few squirts of local raw honey on top of frames. Getting 9 more ready to put up in next 2 weeks the hunt is on. The guy that gave me drawn frames said he would give me a split so hopefully real bee fun start soon.

Comment

My mentor suggests genetics. They either are hygenically predispositioned or not. Change queens if the workers dont naturally keep out mites. I think Weaver has been mentioned in breeding for mite resistance. I forget which Weaver…apparently there is two of em.

Im thinking of getting rid of my mite monitoring boards. I think theyre allowing in more critters than they should allow.

Comment

Any on here have any Nucs to sell? I’m looking for 1 or 2 this spring. In Conroe area, but I travel to Lufkin and College Station often…let me know, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MdStrutnRut View Post
                                Put up first swarm trap today it's a deep with 1 drawn frame in middle and rest empty used frames no foundation, friend gave me 5 drawn frames from last year. Put in a vile of swarm lure in box and sprayed entrance also a few squirts of local raw honey on top of frames. Getting 9 more ready to put up in next 2 weeks the hunt is on. The guy that gave me drawn frames said he would give me a split so hopefully real bee fun start soon.
                                I kind of want to start a Swarm Catching Thread similar to the Coyote Kill Thread 2022!!!! that's already going. I'd be interested to see how many people catch them.

Comment

Working...
                                X